Xantia in Finland (BLOG!)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Koukku
My Cars:

Post by Koukku »

That seems pretty fast driving. :) I guess it's faster to go through Poland and Russia than through Denmark and Sweden? No need for ferries and all.

Salla is quite far up north (~10 hour drive from here), but if you happen to drive through Tampere at any point... :)
- V6 Activa / Mini R53 JCW -
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

Post by stevetheskaterboy »

Hello all,

im awake and alive and wanted to give you the update.

To explain the drive, the last post, saying we had arrived meant we had arrived at the latest hotel, not all the way, Id have to be superman lol!

We arrived in salla yesterday, having had some time out, but a few problems have come up.

Firstly the car is outside, unmovable at this time, due to a oil leak (FAILURE OF THE O RING GASKET ON THE OIL FILTER!)
I have 10l of 10w40 mineral oil in the back of the rover, would that be acceptable to refill with? I have got a replacement oil filter and the tools with me.
Second issue is that I got a puncture yesterday, it was a bugger but its sorted, two front tyres replaced with Maloya winter tyres.

Apart from those two issues, everything is fine, we are having a good time and there is no mechanical issues.

Oil help anyone?
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

10W40 is normally the right stuff (maybe they recommend 5W something in those cold climes?). What oil does it have at present?

Mixing of synthetic and mineral is often frowned apon, but I don't think there is much evidence that it causes a real problem.
Don't run a diesel engine oil long-term in a petrol engine.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

stevetheskaterboy wrote:I have 10l of 10w40 mineral oil in the back of the rover, would that be acceptable to refill with? ...
Oil help anyone?
I would go for a Synthetic 5W-40 in cold climate.
(Total Quartz 5W-40 is my personal choice :) good for all seasons.)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Koukku
My Cars:

Post by Koukku »

I've been using synthetic 0W-40 and 5W-40 oils during the winter. But unless it gets really cold, like -20C, 10W-40 should do fine. Wouldn't run my car with it for the whole winter, but considering the lenght of your trip... Dunno about the mineral stuff though.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I run mine all year round with 10w 40. It doesnt get cold enough here to use a thinner (when cold) engine oil.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

Post by stevetheskaterboy »

It currenty runs on 5w40 full synthetic, I cant work out why the o ring failed, filter only went on 2 weeks ago!

I only have the 10w40 mineral cos the rover doesnt take kindly to synthetic so it was the emergency oil for the trip, its a pain in the a**
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

10 W40 mineral is not such a common oil now. They tend to be semi synthetic the 10W 40s that are available.. The theory is that mineral oils do not stretch the two viscocitys so well. IE. a mineral 10W30 or 15w40 is ok.

What can you do?. Put the 10w40 in for your trip. Cold climes are where synthetic oil comes into it`s own. That protection at -15 is really good. Apart from that..........no advantage on a diesel. That is straight from the mouth of one of the best oil companies in UK. :wink:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

So, how's the trip going? Is there any snow there? I ask as my daughter and son in law want to take the kids somewhere 'Christmassy' for Christmas and I know there won't be much in Sweden.

I have suggested Bulgaria (we have a Bulgarian in the family who thinks that Plovdiv would be a good place to head for, she was in Helsinki for Christmas a couple of years ago and there was no snow at all).

Love this Finnish polka - try and follow the words :)
Koukku
My Cars:

Post by Koukku »

myglaren wrote:So, how's the trip going? Is there any snow there? I ask as my daughter and son in law want to take the kids somewhere 'Christmassy' for Christmas and I know there won't be much in Sweden.

I have suggested Bulgaria (we have a Bulgarian in the family who thinks that Plovdiv would be a good place to head for, she was in Helsinki for Christmas a couple of years ago and there was no snow at all).
There's definitely snow in northern Finland (e.g. in Rovaniemi) during Christmas. Helsinki, as you probably know, is about as south as you can go in Finland.
Easy. ;) Weird dialect though. And weird song too. :lol:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Koukku wrote: There's definitely snow in northern Finland (e.g. in Rovaniemi) during Christmas. Helsinki, as you probably know, is about as south as you can go in Finland.
Easy. ;) Weird dialect though. And weird song too. :lol:
Easy for you, not so easy for the rest of us.