Xantia flashing light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Xantia flashing light

Post by Fox »

Hi there,
Drove my Xantia up to Gatwick on Sunday night. Pulled over for a break at Fleet services on the M3, and when I got back in and put the keys in the ignition the engine oil level light (Thats what the handbook says it is, its the fishing rod type one) was flashing quite quickly.
Its always flashed regardless of the level of the oil, but im 80% sure its never flashed at the speed it was flashing at on Sunday. I checked the oil level to find it perfect - right up near max - and then completed my journey. Im now on holiday, but am worried the car may have a problem and Ive got to drive it back to Plymouth when I get back to Gatwick.
Does anyone have any ideas why the light was flashing? Is it supposed to vary in speed depending on whats wrong or was it just ´one of those things´? I did check the oil level, twice, it was fine.
If anyone can put my mind at rest or perhaps explain it then I would be grateful. I will probably be unable to access the internet until I get home, but I can access email so if you could email me at fox@network-southeast.co.uk I would be eternally grateful.
Thanks!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Not sure what would cause the light to flash faster than normal, but the level light on my Xantia sometimes comes on after the hot engine is restarted if I use synthetic or semi-synthetic oil. It never seems to do it with normal mineral oil though.
Nick
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Can you recall whether you were parked on level ground? I get this if I've parked unevenly - on a curb, for instance. Once the car gets level the flashing stops.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Is'nt it simply the same seen on previous models like the BX & CX ??
Here the oil level gauge may flash, while the level is indicated, at engine start.
This gauge should btw NEVER be taken for granted. It's ONLY indicative on the level, never accurate.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The way the warning light on Xantias is designed it should come on briefly when the ignition key is turned, but then go out after a second or two. If it flashes on and off after that its supposed to indicate low oil level, but often it just means the engines got synthetic oil in, or is parked on unlevel ground.
sv4195
My Cars:

Post by sv4195 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nick</i>

The way the warning light on Xantias is designed it should come on briefly when the ignition key is turned, but then go out after a second or two. If it flashes on and off after that its supposed to indicate low oil level, but often it just means the engines got synthetic oil in, or is parked on unlevel ground.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Mine flashes after a hot engine start even on level ground and I dont use synthetic oil. Has since I got it at 50K.
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

Many thanks for putting my mind at rest :) When I collected my car from the longstay carpark, the light didnt flash, which was nice :)