Made my own leak-off test kit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Made my own leak-off test kit

Post by JamesQB »

Hi,

Made myself a leak-off kit for the faulty 2003 Citroen C3 1.4HDi 16-valve car that I've posted about on here before, as £60 too much for one. Used 500ml cola bottles, cable-ties criss-crossed around them holding them to a piece of cable trunking, the other half of the trunking on the base glued to the bottles with epoxy, and some 3.5mm tubing bought from eBay in a 10m length for around £3. Would have preferred ply to the trunking, but had nothing else. Car's symptoms are hard-to-start, smoking like hell when it finally catches, smoking sometimes when driving and sounding overall like a bag of nails. This test was to see if obvious failure of injectors since that is the common cause with these 16V C3s.

I drilled holes through the bottle tops for the tubing and made sure the size was a tight fit, and also a smaller breather hole in each top. Cut four lengths of tubing of 1m each and then roughed up the bottle top and each tubing piece about 2 inches up from the end for glue to grip. Pushed tubing into each pre-drilled hole and epoxied in place.

The finished set looked better than I expected and did the job. The 3.5mm tubing was a bit on the tight side but did go on the plastic adapters clipped to the injectors. The inlet nipple on three of the plastic injector leak-off adapters had to be closed-off using a small length of the tubing and a drill bit of the right size forced into it, leaving the outlet nipple ready for the tubing to the respective bottle. I also stuck a drill bit into the leak-off return pipe to the tank.

I'll start a new thread a bit later with the results of the leak-off test, after I've got the pics ready, etc.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007