new member old motor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

les
Locked user account

new member old motor

Post by les »

hello all i recently aquired a xantia 1.9 td 1993 this was going to be a temporary replacement however for some reason the old thing has really grown on me so i have decided to keep it as my regular car after all it is in very good shape for the year no rot good cleah body interior cleaned up like a dream and for 250 quid 4mths tax 9 mths mot it has probably made a decent buy however this said it has come with a handfull of nigley problems any help hints and tips on these woul be great so here gose 1 fuel gauge inop i have just glanced at the sender it has the origanal citroen pipe clips so dont think this has been touched 2 temp gauge allways settles at the 60 mark not at bottom of gauge 3 speedo needle quivers and makes a tick tick noise 4 slurping sucking noise from front of engine when running about every 4 seconds this gets faster if high suspension is selected then reverts back to 4 seconds when on full height 5 very bouncy at rear also am i right in thinking that this car would have had a remote central locking pliper it is the xs model with central locking and the small dome near the rear view if so would it be the rf type or the ir type and how to prorame hope any of you xperts out there can help with any of these probs regards les
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Les and a warm welcome :D You've come to the right place here. I had a 1993 1.9TD up until a few months back. It was my very first Xantia in fact and I've since owned five!! They do grow on you... I have a very big fondness for the original Xantias 8)

You'll find out all you need

You'll have an early and rare "sinker" with the chevrons on the bonnet. These have a different hydraulic system to the later anti-sinks and have a device called a Flow Distribution valve above the pressure regulator (as has the BX). You'll find this item is responsible for all the hisses and slurps and to an extent the cacophony is normal. Having said that, it's making the noise a bit frequently so I'd recommend you fit a new accumulator sphere as the old one may be a bit weak.

I know so well the annoying ticking noise from the speed cable. It was about the only Xantia ever fitted with a cable speedo and the vast majority have electronic speedos. The cure is NOT to renew the cable as that is a most rotten and nasty job. Just disconnect it at the joint about afoot up from the gearbox and introduce some light grease into the cable.

The fuel gauge problem is most likely the sender is gone. Prove by disconnecting the sender plug and earthing the gauge wire. It should then read full if all is OK with the gauge.

Does the temperature gauge read 60 even with the ignition off? I've noticed that as they age they do tend to settle near to 60 even when stone-cold (with the ignition on) but don't usually stick there. Does it read normal when the engine is hot?

Pose any questions Les and between us, all problems will soon be ironed out :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Les and welcome to the forum :) :)

Im not an expert but will try and give my tuppence worth on your problems
1.Fuel guage could be a problem with the plug at the back of the instrument cluster.do you have the low level warning lamp lit :?: you can remove the sender unit from the tank be careful of the sealing ring needs a good firm tap but the lugs have a tendancy to break :( :( Dont worry too much about the pipes still haveing the Citroen clamps on them these can be replaced with jubalee clips.if you remove the sender unit with ignition on you should be able to see if moving it manually will affect the guage.Possable causes are damaged wiring between unit and gauge wires run under carpets
2.making the assumption the car has no A/C then the temperature guage is fed i believe from the sensor on the radiator.it could be a sensor or wiring problem hopefully someone with more knowledge will appear shortly :)
3.Probably gearbox sendor unit but you seem to have a few dash related problems so could just be a plug connector issue
4.i would say thats the accumulator sphere and should sound more of a tick than a slurp but my old 1.9TD on a L plate made a slurp rather than a tick and this would get more frequent when on high.Have a real good read of This Topic as this details what the system is and how to repair it take note of the axle stand issues :)
5.Probably the rear spheres need to be replaced not an expensive job but again detailed in link above
6. remote locking is a series 1 (MK1) Xantia and i know there is a "How to resync" guide on here somewhere just not been able to find it just yet.From memory it is something like ignition turned on and keep pressing lock button on plip near (about 2") from dome in roof .turn ignition off and try plip

Hope this helps

Colin
les
Locked user account

reply to citrojim

Post by les »

hi jim many thanks for reply temp gauge reads 80 while running heater nice and warm turn off and gauge settles at 60 and stays there even after cooling gose steadily back to 80 during new journey any thoughts on bouncy rear and remote pliper regards les
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Ah Sir Jim you beat me to it you Admins must have some sort of preference posting :lol: :lol:

Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

admiral51 wrote:Ah Sir Jim you beat me to it you Admins must have some sort of preference posting :lol: :lol:
Ahh, no such cleverness Colin! Just my love of the old sinkers led me directly to this thread as soon as it was posted :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

Colin's right about the remote, I done mine last week and it works a treat, mines an IR type BTW.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;