Tips for storage...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davetherave
My Cars:

Tips for storage...

Post by davetherave »

Tips for storage has anyone got any?, hopefully the xantia is going away for a couple of months tomorrow
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Couple of months is not a big problem.
Change the oil after a run to reach full operating temp. Lower the suspension. If stored inside connect a maintenance charger to the battery , if outside remove the battery and charge once a month.
If stored outside the only thing that may possibly suffer are the brake discs. If stored outside I would NOT recommend a cover. Condensation will be much worse and cannot evaporate , also a cover flaps in the wind and this will mark the paint.
One tip I would suggest is to put window whiting on the inside of the windows. This stops sun bleaching of the interior and keeps the temperature down in sunlight which reduces condensation in the inside.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Thanks for the cover tip, i was going to get one but will hold off now, i will cover up the windows then.
Its going into storage at a place that stores caravans, as im going to rotate between the xm and xantia.
Its just had an oil change i just need to top up the antifreeze!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Put more air in the tyres to stop them from being flat at the bottom. Make sure there is enough antifreeze and that its relitively fresh, as it looses its properties over time.

We have two cars covered over, have done for years. They are both fitted covers though, made especially for that car, so fit very snug and do not flap in the wind. They are also breathable and totally water proof. Excellent products, i would strongly recommend one if your going to be storing the Xanita often.

Our two were from: http://www.carcoversuk.com/

Excellent service and fantastic products. They do not mark the paint and they do not keep condensation inside. Unlike others ive tried. Have had these for a couple of years now and the cars are all the better for being covered.

I hate leaving cars just stood out, water sits in places like the door bottoms etc which only usually drips out when you move the car. They also get covered in weather grime and the likes. Much better covered in my opinion.

Our 6wheeler is pretty much parked all year around, it lives under one of the fitted covers. However i do start it usually every month and get it up to running temperature, sometimes i will give it a little drive to get its brakes clean etc. Though its always taxed and MOTd ready for use.The Xm hatch also stands around alot, under the other fitted cover. Though this gets used monthly in the summer it rarely sees the road in winter.

Ive never had a problem with any car while its been parked, they fire up at thew turn of a key on all occasions. But then they are Citroens!

Id love more garage spaces but its not possible. Thinking about renting somewhere to store the C15 this winter, does them no good just sitting in the cold damp air, covered or not. Though covered is usually better, depending on the car cover that is.

If your parking a car up when you have been using it over the winter, make sure you have given it a thourgh wash, under the wheel arches and under the car, to get all the salt off.

Other than that, i hope you enjoy the XM :D Im sure your Xantia will be perfectly ok when you come to reuse it.

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Just to say yes HDI, that was my opinion of car covers untill Chris posted on clubxm about his fitted one, and i got one............it lasted 1 month and then started falling apart like sunbleached plastic does :shock: they sent me another free of charge by next day courier, they were great about it as they have a 2 year warantee and ive had it a year now and its brilliant, doesnt move at all in the strongest wind never gets any condense on the car and you can run a hose over it and water just does not get in, i would deffinatly say its worth having one now and ive had no issues with the second cover.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Dave post a pic of the XM :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Remember to leave the handbrake off....just leave it in gear & if necessary chock the wheels.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

I think he was eying up this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/citroen-xm-2-1-tu ... 0489177497, but then there this one too that just sold http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-xm-sport- ... 0492053798, both good looking cars.

Would be nice to see some pictures though 8)

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Good to hear your happy with the cover Dean, they are a good product.

I was thinking its the first one, certainly a S2 being a 95 car.

We need some more info Dave! :D Good luck with its collection tomorrow :)

Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Just noticed it is the first one, says 'silver exclusive' in his sig :roll: should have spotted it shouldnt i.
Looks like someone is on the hunt for a mk2 cow skin interior then?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Actually, i think there was someone selling a leather interior on the CCC forum, though not sure if its still available.

Chris
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Deanxm wrote: Looks like someone is on the hunt for a mk2 cow skin interior then?
Do XM Exclusives not have leather by default then Dean? :o Seems only right and proper than an XM should be the final resting place for several hides. Not so sure they're cow hides though, I've always been of the belief that the hides for seats originate from sheep...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Jim, at some point they had half leather and half suede fabric on the centres. It can wear badly, which is why leathers are quite sought after. Its the only Xm seating material which does actually seem to wear though.

Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Hi Jim

Im not the one to ask but from what ive heard some Exclusives had a half sued half velour trim and thats what this one has and i think the suede has worn off the drivers seat bolster, cant remember if this was an optional extra now come to think of it but im sure someone will tell.
Sheepskin probably makes more sense now you mention it, cows make shoes dont they???

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

and as Chris said some had half leather too

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92