Intermittent brake failure Citroen c8

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alden
My Cars:

Intermittent brake failure Citroen c8

Post by alden »

Hi all.When first using car in morning/school run etc,sometimes, first press of brakes is non exsistant.You have to press again.The system in fine for rest o time.The wife says this has happened b4, but it got me this morning.Quite alarming in traffic.. :oops: My thoughts are to bleed the system. Any other views welcome. THANX
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Do C8's have hydraulic suspension like Xantia's etc ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Conventional suspension / brakes on C8.... When you say the brakes are not working - how so? Pedal is v hard, or pedal goes to the floor, or pedal feels normal, but no brakes?

1st is symptomatic of servo / vacuum failure; second of air in system, or failed handbrake adjusters; third is possibly fault with ABS system.

PS if this is a fairly modern car it might have EBD / Brake assist, in which case all bets are off, and it will need to have a discussion with a diagnostic computer..... :roll:
Richard W
alden
My Cars:

c8 brake

Post by alden »

no it seems to b the first press of the day.Dosnt do it again until nxt morn.if you press the pedal normaly it happens then its just a case of jumping hard on it.I bled the system today/all four wheels.(its a gud job i had a syringe and pipe handy as the resevoir is right at back on top of engine).So ill see what the nxt couple of mornings bring and let you know how i got on.Thanks for the support.
P.S.its a 2007model year with 49k.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I'll bet it's a bit of rust building up on the discs overnight. I used to get it on a Leon I once had. Can be quite alarming / embarrassing when you're not expecting it. I would suggest an early brake test when you first pull away, like you would after exiting a car wash.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
alden
My Cars:

c8 brakes

Post by alden »

Thanks for that jim, however i got to thinking about it while she was in asda and i decieded to google recalls.it comes up for one on the software and also one for the vacum pump.It also comments about travel on the brake pedal.So its booked in for wed,so we'll see what happens and post trhe results. :roll:
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If it turns out to be the servo the bad news is that on the RHD version it's an engine out job on the HDi C8 to replace it.

Does it still do it if you let the engine run for a few minutes first before setting off to build up a good vaccum ?
alden
My Cars:

c8 brakes

Post by alden »

No it only happens in the first 5 min from cold.
alden
My Cars:

c8 brakes

Post by alden »

Hi folks,
Had the car into citroen yesterday and for the recall, it seems to have cured it. They replaced the vacumn and spoke about a leaky valve ,which was causing the loss of pressure overnight.

It shows though how vunerable we are in the UK as this could have led to an accident etc.Manufacturers should be made to contact regestered keepers of cars subected to a recall,not just wait until a service etc.
This car was a finance snatchback and obviously if a person cant afford a car then he sure as hell wont be servicing it,I was just fortuate to google the recalls and establish a likely cause. I am still chasing the service history and have spoken to the previous owner WHO WAS AWARE OF THE BRAKE PROBLEM AND CHOSE TO IGNORE IT. The lesson here is when swaping your car check that it isnt subject to any outstanding recalls/or carry them out A.S.A.P.
Thanks for all your help and ideas lads.
Regards Alden
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I was about to say this car should still be under warranty and i'd have it straight in for the work to be done.... any other niggles you've noticed with it at all??
alden
My Cars:

c8 brake

Post by alden »

No no other niggles exept the handbrakes a bit loose to the touch, (cant do out with it though!.)it is a decent full size 7 seater, and thats why we got it.My wifes a childminder and loves it,very convienient when carrying a child and you just use the eletric doors,no bending into the car either(they havent gone wrong yet though).truth be known though my c5 2.2 sx est was a better car(loved it) :lol: even with 130k on clock, didnt have 7 seats so it had to go, :wink:
BernieLugg
My Cars:

Re: c8 brake

Post by BernieLugg »

alden wrote:No no other niggles exept the handbrakes a bit loose to the touch, (cant do out with it though!.)
I thought that with mine, now then when the handbrake is on, pull it up very slightly ( in the slack bit you feel) then pull the button forward and let go the lever - watch it drop to the floor, but your handbrake is still on.

This is a design thing for the cars with the captains seats that turn around ( but wont turn round with the brake lever in the up position).
alden
My Cars:

Post by alden »

cheeerss bernie :D
BX 19 TRS
C5 SX EST 2.2
C8 2.0 SX