ABS warning light on....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

ABS warning light on....

Post by stevetheskaterboy »

The abs light on my xantia came on this morn when i started it, its still there, fuses are fine

help lol
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

One of the four wheel sensors or the cables may be broken. Take care, at low speeds (like below 20 km/h) the broken ABS might deteriorate the performance of the brakes (in other words - it does not brake at all!). Until you solve the issue, I would recommend to remove the ABS fuse.

On the ABS ECU you can measure the resistance of all four sensors. It should read something about 1100 Ohm.

Karel
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

Ok ill do that, as i said it was great yesterday, grrrr!

Im going on holiday with it in two weeks, will it be sorted by then do you think?
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well if it's just a corroded connector, which is common, then no probs. If a sensor has gone it can be a bit of a song and dance to remove them, especially the rear ones. The bolts are generally rusted solid and the routing of the rear cables makes it awkward to remove and refit. Be prepared to swear a bit. :roll:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

righty, ill start in a bit, its been one of those sot of days lol
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Here is a piccy from a measurement. They give readings average lets say around 1050 Ω.
As seen in close up, meter is switched to resistance region and scale 2000 Ω which would be enough for reading an ABS sensor.

As Stempy says especially rear ones can be really difficult to remove and the rear route is very challenging which goes through the rear arm :evil:

PS: Marsalek, nice to hear from you again. You've not been around for a long time :)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Have a look at this thread for details on which pins to measure and some tips on renewing a rear ABS sensor if required :)

Im placing my bets on the problem being the NSF sensor :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
marsalek
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

VertVega wrote:PS: Marsalek, nice to hear from you again. You've not been around for a long time :)
Hi, was on holidays with my ABS light on :-) (around 5000 km through the eastern Europe).

Here are the pin numbers for Mk1 and Mk2.

X1:
Front Left Pins Nr. 15 und 30
Rear Left 19 + 28
Front Right 1 + 6
Rear Right 29 + 31

X2:
Front Left 1 + 2
Rear Left 5 + 6
Front Right 19 + 20
Rear Right 22 + 23

Karel
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

i have just checked the readin and they are all average, along with there doesnt appear to be any visual problems, should I go to my local garage and ask for a diagnosic?

luckily I am a regular customer (with my learner car, which was my dads) so they do it for £15 a pop
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Diagnostic tester will only tell you something like "Speed Sensor Error" but still not tell exactly which one of the four caused that.
Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

If readings were good then you should drive for about at least 200 m (speed goes over 20 km/h) then ABS light should turn off.
One of the sensors is giving signals of a future replacement :)

If the light doesn't turn off then the other options are like: cracked or loose toothed ring, dirt on toothed ring, weakened wire, corrosion and etc.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

Gotta love technology lol, I am going to take it out for a while later and see what happens.

Ive cleaned most of the conections, checked fuses and checked for visual damage and checked reading, think the good old random might be involved!

I will keep you all informed later, and thank you all for being so understanding, its great having so much information and advice on tap, and from such a great group :D
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I think the ecu test sequence first checks the static impedance of the sensors, if all is well it will turn off the warning light.

Then when you start to drive it is looking for pulses from the sensor as the wheel turns, if the pulses aren't up to spec then it will illuminate the warning light.

If you substitute a 1k resistor for each of the sensors in turn you can isolate the faulty one as it will pass the static test and only illuminate the light as you drive off due to the lack of pulses..
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A pukka Lexia diagnostic will pinpoint the problem exactly. Off-times it will show a slightly duff sensor indicating a wheel is spinning at some silly number of km/h even when stopped!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stevetheskaterboy
My Cars:

Good news!

I took the car out for a bit, put it through the jet wash then took it for a blast up the M6, then the light went out.

Then when noone was around I did a emergency stop at 70mph, the abs is very odviously working well lol
2009 Citroen C1 VTR
marsalek
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

Hm, 70 mph...

Due to the electromagnetic nature of the sensor's functioning, the higher the speed, the stronger the signal is. So if there is some dirt on the sensor or the ABS ring, the signal is deteoriated usually at low speeds.

Karel