Xantia Fuel Filter change (hopefully!)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

Xac, the problem with those lecy heaters is
1) they scorch the veg a produce carbon deposits
2) when the worm oil hits the cold alloy base of the filter it looses all it's heat almost instantly.
3) as far as insurance goes it's a modification to the fuel system so you will have to inform them or take the risk.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

mark21td wrote:Make sure the silicone is oil resistant.
How do you tell that? I would be using clear window type silicone. (you can just tell I'm a chemist-not)
1998 Xantia 1.9TD SX That kinda dark green that shows every spec and is an oven in the summer.
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

mark21td wrote:Yes it could have been a fat blockage, do you cold filter your oil.

It could also of been something inside the tank blocking the stainer.
Yes oil is cold filtered 1µ via bag filters from "The green Machine" in Norfolk, got quite a lot of fat out of it then it's sat sitting for another month.

I have an inline electric filter which I have never fitted, unsure of the insurance premium which will be demanded. (if not disclosed it's a modification and renders the insurance invalid) This only raises temp up to 10degC.

Will check tank for stains tomorrow :-)
1998 Xantia 1.9TD SX That kinda dark green that shows every spec and is an oven in the summer.
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Xac wrote:Be prepared to have to buy a replacement fuel filter housing after the mod as the stat can leak. Teh_Agent went through three of them I think, even trying various sealants.
Also check your fuel return line is clear and you can blow down it.
As has been mentioned, lift up the back seat on the driver's side and check the strainer on the fuel pickup, it prevents any large particles like the dust and dirt that 10 years of driving introduces into the tank.
As soon as fuel gets to something hot, it's heated sufficiently, whether that's the heat exchanger, the filter housing after the stat has shut off as it's the same temperature as the exchanger, or the pump itself.
If you're running thick fuel, ie WVO, and you're suffering fuel starvation through the viscosity being too high, then you need to look into an inline electric heater block.
DaveTheRave has one. Basically it's a metal block with one or two glow plugs in it and fuel line connectors. Fuel flows in and is either heated directly or indirectly by the glow plugs meaning it is up to temperature straight away before it gets to the filter.
I have the Bosch fuel system but have never been able to find a fuel return line, it seems to be blanked off after the last injector.

I have an inline low temp electric heater up to 10C but have not installed due to insurance.
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

The fuel return line from the injectors will join the pump return line, then both go back to the tank. look at the othr end to the one thats blocked off.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

mark21td wrote:The fuel return line from the injectors will join the pump return line, then both go back to the tank. look at the othr end to the one thats blocked off.
There dont seem to be any return lines at all including from pump.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

mark21td wrote:Xac, the problem with those lecy heaters is
1) they scorch the veg a produce carbon deposits
2) when the worm oil hits the cold alloy base of the filter it looses all it's heat almost instantly.
3) as far as insurance goes it's a modification to the fuel system so you will have to inform them or take the risk.
1) an indirect one can be used if you're worried about this, although that's what a fuel filter is for. I wonder if dave can post whether he's noticed blackening of his fuel filters?
2) the heated oil heats the fuel path quicker than the heat exchanger/fuel return alone.
3) Danielle and I can't see why, as it makes no performance or operational difference to the vehicle, and she's spent several years as an underwriter. Had a quick check online and found that Co-op and Aviva have no problem with it. As with anything though, it's best to check the specific terms of your policy.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
rpaco
My Cars:

Update

Post by rpaco »

Re the filter housing base modification, mine has no stat, the tapped spigot is there but empty so I guess it all gets heated.

Old filter was coated on top side with brown gunge. Bit wary of new filter from GSF since it has only vertical pleats, the old one (Crossland) had these pleats ziz zagged as well increasing the surface area. Wondering if they gave me a petrol one.

I have an electric fuel heater (not fitted) but it only goes up to 10C

Still can find no fuel return line.
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

Is the new filter a MAN one (yellow and green box), if it is there bio/veg compatable (the only ones on the market that are), I will only use MAN fuel filters and have never had any problems.

As for the fuel return lines, look on the right hand side of the pump just under the boost compensator you will see a banjo bolt with pipework going to the rear of the car, that is the return line.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
Brew my own biodiesel

davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

I have to say, I swear by my electric in line heater, its temperature controlled so keeps the fuel at 80 degrees.
Many people dont think these are any good (they may be right), however having run on veg oil with and without the heater ill go for with every time!

However for the Xm ill be using an inline heater initially then ill have a heat exchanger for when the engine is up to temperature, less battery drain then (not that its ever been a problem before!)
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s