AL4 into a ZX 1.9TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

AL4 into a ZX 1.9TD

Post by deian »

Hi,

Is there anybody here with an automatic 1.9td in either a xantia or a diesel? Did the ZX ever come with an auto box for the 1.9TD, I know they came with the 1.9D, but the lever looks boring and featureless, no sports mode, ewww). I know diesel engines aren't sporty, but the XUD9 isn't your usual lazy diesel engine (such as the XUD11) and is fun to drive in the ZX.

I MAY convert one myself if it's possible (which i think it is, there's a box for sale on here that came from a xantia 1.9td, so it must go with the engine), but as we all know it's not that simple really is it. I'm tempted to just buy the box just for fun and to work it all out along side the technical manual I just googlefound.

If it's mechanically possible, I may program it with aftermarket software if the engine is too simple for the box, i.e not enough sensors for the box to operate correctly.

Any advice and information would be great, I have a my eye on a Volcane already. This could be a goer, if the reception is great to the idea.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Not sure if the ZX TD came with an auto or not, there's certainly a chapter in the Haynes book about auto boxes in the ZX though :D
Good plan with the Xantia box, exactly the same engine so should be fine. Although the mounts for the Xantia may be slightly different, probably want to get a tape measure out and see if they're all in the same place before getting it.
Although the Volcanes are much more fun to drive with the manual in my opionion.

(also the black ones do look nice, mine does, they do get really really hot in the summer:P )
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
deian

Post by deian »

We will see, i'm just toying with the idea first, the straight diesel came with an auto box, whether it was the same box or something boring-er i'm not sure, there's still a lot of investigations to be done.

I thought you would show an interest chlorate. LOL.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The OLD Auto box was NEVER fitted to the Turbo D Engine....

It WAS ONLY fitted to the N/a D, The TD eventually got auto when the AL4 box was launched..

This combination MAY fit the ZX but im not sure if the Xantia Subframe was modified to take the AL4 box..

Then you need to plub in the ECU and the harness for the autobox..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
deian

Post by deian »

citroenxm wrote: This combination MAY fit the ZX but im not sure if the Xantia Subframe was modified to take the AL4 box..
Paul
It's because I heard it was in the Xantia that I know the engine/box should mate, but as chlorate said, does the ZX have the mounting holes in the engine bay to hold the box?
citroenxm wrote: Then you need to plumb in the ECU and the harness for the autobox...
Paul
This is where I may run into problems, by the time the xantia had this box the engine was probably slightly more advanced and have developed enough sensors to run the auto-box-ecu compared to a completely mechanical bosch pump as you would expect to find in from M reg ZX.

Another concern would be the actual gear ratio's inside the box, the Xantia MAY have different ones because the box was designed with the fact that the same engine had to drive a heavier body around.... which when I come to think of it, may suit a volcane ZX better (designed sportier), especially if the final drive is smaller (i.e quicker off the mark).

So many things to think about.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I once drove a ZX 1.9d auto, you needed a calander to measure the 0-60 time.
deian

Post by deian »

I'm on about a 1.9TD peter, with the better box, not that boring one you find in the 1.9D. I believe the AL4 box has a sports mode.

So with the sports mode and the turbo it won't be too bad, I'm after brisk and convenience.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah right. A 2.1 engine and box from a Xantia or XM would be much better.
deian

Post by deian »

That is a possibility too. There is one for sale in the relevant section, and lots of talk about the possibilities.

As you know, I'm a big fan of the 2.1td and it would shift the ZX nicely, but I think the ZX would prefer a sportier engine. We'll see what's possible when I get the car. There is one in the pipeline, next week hopefully.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Save yourself the hassle!

A V6 Xantia is the way forward!!

Comfort, performance, and the convenience all rolled into one!!

Diesel economy if you LPG it too.

D
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DHallworth wrote:A V6 Xantia is the way forward!!

Comfort, performance, and the convenience all rolled into one!!
Fully agreed David :D

However, Dei's proposal of grafting an AL4 into a ZX makes great sense and prima facie should not be too difficult to achieve. A potentially very interesting project if nothing else.

Dei, forgot to say in the other threads on this topic, you'll need the flywheel and flex-plate from the donor as the torque convertor will not mount on the standard manual flywheel.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

Thanks for that Jim, can't afford to run a V6 at the moment David, otherwise i'd snap ur fingers off again.

I'm still on the hunt for a zx, the guy seems to have pulled out!