Faults on my to do list !!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Faults on my to do list !!!

Post by HDI »

I'm not a list type person but in the case of the Xantia I need a to do list so that all the faults are resolved before the next millennium !!

So , here we go ,

1/ Suspension going intermittently hard.

2/ Loss of power / limp home mode.

3/ Aircon not working.

4/ Headlamp washers not working.

5/ Heated seats not working on 1st two settings.

6/ Find a front undertray.

7/ Sort out various brackets and pipe supports under the bonnet.

8/ Replace oil temp / oil level sender.

9/ .......... I'm sure there was something else , errrmmm !

Grief , it's a bit daunting to see it all down in black & white !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

MMmm I've got a list like that, trouble is, everytime I cross something off the top I have to add something else to the bottom :roll:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

You certainly have some busy weekends ahead :lol:

First one is easy, get an e-crofting suspension kit :)

Air con probably needs regassing?

Heated seats probably the switches?

Loss of power could be many things, MAF sensor might be my first port of call. At least a clean of it. Followed by some air intake cleaning/spray and a good blast. After that, Lexia is your friend :)

Chris,
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Ah, so I'm not the only one with a "Things to do" list!!

Trying to get all the important jobs/faults sorted before the onset of winter. Of course, some jobs are low priority and may never get done (such as the faded paint on the tailgate top)

Martin - :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Number two:

Limp home / power loss, WILL be one of those Electro valves by the offside sphere... I still cant tell you which one because Im HDi less at the moment.

Number Six

Under tray, Im certain Ive got one BUT the securing points were the bolts go through to screw to the subframe are all broken...

Number 3

Xantia Air Con systems are generally VERY reliable, and eith a SIMPLE Vac out and regas can sort that out, in worse cases the condenser MIGHT have a leak, or better, a set of seals, costing all of 2 quid FROM STEALERS! Two on the evaporater, behind LHM tank, 2 on the dryer, 2 on the Condenser, and two on the Compressor...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Its simple enough to fix the undertray! As i found out, baked bean cans (+ angle grinder) are great!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

I'm working on the power loss / limp home. Have tried substituting the turbo electro valve with the EGR valve one but it hasn't worked. Either the EGR electro valve is also faulty or the fault is something else. At £33.00 odd I don't want to just buy a new one in blind hope !

The MAF sensor was replaced a while ago , so thats ruled out.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Dont think you can swap one for the other... I swapped BOTH together from the car I dismantled...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Stick a multimeter accross the terminals on the electrovalve, if its open circuit, the electrovalve is dead. On my Xantia TD, I could hear a click when the electrovalves operated. It wasn't a loud click but if you knew what to listen for you could hear it, you just need to know how to trigger it....
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Already tried the valve and it does click and draw current. I also blew through it whilst applying voltage and air passed through regardless of power being applied or not. I guess that shows the valve side of it is not operating.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I've had two faults with the lights washers, the first was a duff pump which I replaced. They worked for a while and packed up again. The second fault turned out to be a dry joint in the pink timer relay which I resoldered and it's been fine ever since.

The heated seats are more of a mystery. I've often thought mine only work on the flat out setting, but if it's really cold then they seem to get warm on the lower settings but cut out well before getting to butt scorching as on full. I put it down to an overly sensitive thermostat control, but perhaps there's a common fault.

Lexia ponce

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Love your new avatar Stempy :D I have a Strat exactly like the one in the picture. Painted in Lake Placid Blue :P I believe Fender painted a lot of Strats in automotive paint and colours.

Back on topic...

I find myself with a small to-do list at this time. It'll no doubt grow as the days go by :twisted:

Currently:

V6

Crusie Control
Exhaust
Rear Arm Bearings

Activa

New Radiator

All bits needed are in stock, no jobs are yet urgent so can be done as and when.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've got a L.P. blue one, too. Left handed, with gold hardware.

The aircon thing - I am wondering what the few proper "fridgies" on the forum here, have to say about receiver/drier replacement. As a hack mechanic, it would seem logical to think that after ten-odd years of usage, replacing the drier during a major A/C overhaul could be a step in the right direction.
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

The drier on most refrigeration/aircon systems has to work hard for the first few hours of operation. Its main function during this time is to absorb any moisture and filter out any solid foreign particles in the system that have escaped the vacuum process. In theory, if the system stays sealed then there will be no more moisture to “dry” and the particles to be filtered will come wear in the moving parts. The receiver is a store for liquid refrigerant and acts as a reservoir to cope with the fluctuation in demand on the system. (Think of the difference in heat load between returning to the car on a hot day when the leather seats are at bum burning temperature and using the aircon to aid demisting when its cool enough to want the seat heaters on!). I haven’t “yet” cut an automotive rec/drier apart to see exactly how they are constructed but I know from experience that the small 5 to 15 gramme ones I work with are capable of handling 2 or 3 re-gassings without problem. This is on systems with hermetic compressors where it is also important to protect the motor windings from moisture. (The oil and water can react with the motor winding insulation).

If the aircon system has been damaged, corroded/broken condenser etc, then it will contain wet atmospheric air. In this case, in my opinion, the rec/drier should be changed as a matter of course. If it has lost some efficiency over a few years due to loss of a proportion of its gas charge then I wouldn’t bother. By the time the filter is clogged with particles, most of which would be compressor swarf, the compressor would be “shot” anyway.
If there were any doubt about the history of the vehicle and the aircon was broken then I would also change the drier. The Xantia system test pressures go as high as 400+psi and the thought of that being applied to an old rec/drier that has near rusted through due to a neglected broken system doesn’t appeal to me.

PS son has a Strat that colour, a black Rickenbacker, a Fretking? two acoustics (one electric) and a mandolin. He’s now moved out so we can move about the house and hear things again!

(As an aside I keep looking at the extra car space on the drive and imagining an Activa filling it!)

Stempy, is the pink headlamp washer timer the one by the screenwash tank behind the front bumper? (series 2)
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Firstly, I don't actually have a blue Strat, though I used to have a white one. I now have a LAG (amongst others) which is a French made guitar in a superstrat stylee and dare I say better than the Strat. The blue Strat was the only choice of guitar in the avatar builder. However, the cartoon version of me is scarily accurate. The black Lab is also slightly inaccurate as mine only has three legs!

Secondly, the pink timer relay is in the engine compartment fuse box on mine.

Lexia ponce