thinking of buying an xantia :).

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

il add my name to that list of young xantia owners :D iv had my silver xantia since i was 17 and then i bought a c5 hdi which was a bit too old fashioned for my liking :roll: but still a very nice car ..then a hdi xantia which wasnt as much fun to drive as the xud ,so now i am on my 2nd xud and they are the pick of the xantias without doubt 8)..All at the grand old age of 19 :lol:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Interesting that you prefer the 1.9TDs to the 2.0HDi. What didnt you like about the HDi compared to the TD?

I have not even considered a 1.9TD, mainly because the HDi is better for economy, so the specs say, and i have got used to it now in the C5s etc.

I agree about the C5, very nice cars but a little dull compared to Xms and not much fun to drive.

So now im wanting a Xantia to replace the 206, will have to see what turns up ...

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Both my parents have 90Hdi's, mum has a Xsara, dad had a Picasso until someone went up the back of him several weeks ago and the fool has bought another.
Anyway, they're gutless as anything compared with my 1.9TD
More in line with the responsiveness of the Lucas Epic driven 2.1TD Xantia that I had.
To get it to be any fun, you have to rev the nuts off it, and even then you don't get much and any fuel savings go out the window.
The 1.9TD can run on veg which saves more money than driving a hdi on derv would.
Less to go wrong with the 1.9TD too.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Hmm, i might have to give a 1.9TD a go in that case. :)

Id be after the 110 HDi which should perform better than the 90 in a Xantia. So a 110 should be nippier than a TD? Might have to look into the veg oil running too.

Though i dont find the HDi gutless, the only TD i can compare them to is the XM 2.1TD - Bocsh pump, ive not driven a 1.9TD. The HDi pulls much better from lower down (especially with the EGR removed), but the 2.1 doesnt start pulling hard until 2K rpm. Though once it does pull its slightly quicker than the 110 HDi C5, but it runs out of pull earlier than the HDis, which seem to not mind higher revs.

On the whole i do prefer the 2.1TD to the 2.0HDi, it sounds better on the move and i dont really find it uses much more fuel either.

1.9TDs do seem pretty bomb proof, where as ive heard quite a few HDis needing expensive repairs.

This is becoming a hard desicion now :lol:

Any more views: HDi vs 1.9TD?

Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

I want my xantia to drive like a xantia with a proper turbo diesel engine :D as xac said they are easier to maintain and less can go wrong and driving wise that xud is more responsive and much more fun to drive aswell..maybe im old fashioned but i like my diesel engine to sound like a tractor lol :lol: .Id say the hdi would be fine if your just looking for something to get you from A to B and you dont care how you get there,but i love xantias so the xud is the only engine that can put a smile on my face when im driving a xantia :D
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Seems i need to try a 1.9TD now :D

The HDi engine is ok, cant say its one of the best diesels ive driven and it can sound harsh when worked, the 2.1TD sounds better, which if im correct in my thinking is very similar to the 1.9TD in design. The HDi is good on fuel though, and smokes less than the TD. Though the prices of the more often failing parts (fuel pump and injectors) is a little worrying.

They do seem more available than good HDi models.

XantiaDaveEire: are both of your 1.9TDs S2 cars? Do you run them on veg oil?

What economy do you 1.9TD drivers get?

I know what the HDis do as ive had a few HDi cars now, usually around 45-55 - more on a run or when driven carefully.

So what do 1.9TDs do?

Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
deian

Post by deian »

It should be noted that the 2.1td CAN be more economical than the 1.9td, I am sure that overall my 2.1td Xantia was marginally more economical than the 1.9td.

I think a 2.1td is more economical in a Xantia than a 1.9td would be as it has 20bhp (ish) more and therefore doesn't have to work so hard moving ti about, hence the saving, more so on a longrun.

I've never driven a HDi engine, but if you want economy the HDi's win hands down, but longevity goes to the 1.9td. The 2.1td is somewhere in between, and i've buy another one again in a Xantia.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Citroenmad wrote:Seems i need to try a 1.9TD now :D

The HDi engine is ok, cant say its one of the best diesels ive driven and it can sound harsh when worked, the 2.1TD sounds better, which if im correct in my thinking is very similar to the 1.9TD in design. The HDi is good on fuel though, and smokes less than the TD. Though the prices of the more often failing parts (fuel pump and injectors) is a little worrying.
Realistically Chris, theres going to be a very good chance that you'll never have to replace the injectors or fuel pump on a HDI. Even if they do fail, at a scrappy they'll be cheap. All you've got to worry about really is the strut tops which are heading up to the same price range as the XMs £95 each for a brand new set 18 months ago from the stealers is starting to look like a bit of a bargin :shock:
Citroenmad wrote: What economy do you 1.9TD drivers get?
Absolutly no idea Chris, I tend to drive for safety rather than economy and add to that near free fuel, who cares! :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I got 816 miles to a full tank once from my first Xantia 1.9TD hatchback :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

I average 50mpg,i use to run my silver xantia on veg oil until it became the same price as diesel,but now i get free diesel so it doesnt bother me :lol: ..insurance and tax is the real killer :evil:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

red_dwarfers wrote: Realistically Chris, theres going to be a very good chance that you'll never have to replace the injectors or fuel pump on a HDI. Even if they do fail, at a scrappy they'll be cheap. All you've got to worry about really is the strut tops which are heading up to the same price range as the XMs £95 each for a brand new set 18 months ago from the stealers is starting to look like a bit of a bargin :shock:
Citroenmad wrote: What economy do you 1.9TD drivers get?
Absolutly no idea Chris, I tend to drive for safety rather than economy and add to that near free fuel, who cares! :lol:
Are they as bigger problem as on Xms, well by that i mean are they just as prone to rusting? Something i will have to look out for in that case, i cant believe how much Xm ones are new, £350 is a bit of a joke!

Think it probably will be a HDi, ive had no reason to fault the ones we have had in our family, they perform well. I never drive for economy though, i just drive however the mood takes me, usually quicker rather than slower i must say! I still find HDis return perfectly good MPG.

A 1.9TD would be appealing, running on veg would be something i would consider. Near free fuel Kev, how do you manage that? Veg oil too i assume?

Really getting itchy feet to get a Xantia, i split the mileage between the 206 and C5, but spending over 2 hours a day in the 206 is getting a bit uncomfortable. Well thats my excuse, i just want a Xantia :lol:

Yeah road tax is quite a bit higher than the later cars, £190.

Chris.
Last edited by Citroenmad on 12 Oct 2009, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

:shock: Irelands the real joke my insurance and tax are constantly going up..tax was €539 and is now €614 ! for the year ..more than my car is worth..same for my insurance €2100 for the year
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
Cipher
My Cars:

Post by Cipher »

thats crazy dave, just gotta live with it tho i guess :(.

i still havent got any money from my claim yet so im hoping it all goes well and i do get a decent amount to buy an xantia.

i have been looking about and was wondering what a zx would be like also, its just idea's the now but i wouldnt mind either of them :).
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

:shock: That is seriously crazy money for tax :shock:

Zxs are good little cars, drive and handle well, dont have the hydraulic suspension so might be easier/cheaper to keep if your not used to that suspension.

Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10