ZX TD vs. ZX Volcane TD vs. Volcane Petrol

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

ZX TD vs. ZX Volcane TD vs. Volcane Petrol

Post by deian »

Hi guys,

I'm itching for another ZX ideally a ZX Volcane TD, but what is different about the Volcane TD compared to say an Aura or an Avantage TD version?

How about the 1.9 volcane or even the 2.0i, which i assume is the 8v 155bhp version? (or is it 16v).

Is there such a thing as an automatic volcane td? If so does the box have a sports mode on it?

I've only driven 2 automatic citroens, the first one was in the xant v6 which obviously had a sports mode and was good fun, the other was an older xm 2.0i turbo, and it was horrid, it just went boringly, no fun, no sport mode.

Oh i'm doing that thing again and asking for an odd combination of a car.

The bottom line is I like the ZX I know they go well and handle well and are quite under rated. Any ideas?

Thanks
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Volcane is top spec, Aura is middle spec advantage is bottom!

ONLY difference is inside SPEC, and external bits, ALL engines are the same..

ZX TD AUTO would HAVE to be a home made job, and then it only got a TD unit on an auto box as late as 1997, so the ZX NEVER got TD with auto, Just N/a D with auto, and thats mechanical box too, soo sooooooo slow!!

Very underrated, with GREAT handleing, especially with the apparent Passive rear steering, Ive read before now, it actually better then its sister the 306, but the "Boring" looks dont help it...

Specs? Advantage, nothing, Aura, Front elec windows, PAS, Alloys, Sunroof, Volcane, as Aura, but with Front Fogs, sports bumpers, and sports seats, and a HARDER RIDE, All TD's Manual!

*EDIT: Volcane: Optional ABS I think, not certain if it was standard on Volcane

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
deian

Post by deian »

Thanks for that paul, great info.

I just want a simple runaround that has potential.

As for the looks, I myself prefer the zx over the 306 any day, never liked the peugeot styling at all, they all looked the same from that era, 106, 205, 306, 405, 605, just different size and whether it had a boot or not.

Besides, it's a car for me to sit inside and drive, don't give a monkeys what it looks like... that why people bought the XM, cos it's great inside when ur driving it.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I agree with Paul, if you want performance you definitly don't want an auto box. I believe I am right in saying that the Volcane has stiffer suspension, at least the one my son had did. The TD is pretty nippy and pulls better low down than the petrols, but the greatest advantage of course is the fuel consumption which will be considerably better than the petrol.

Peter
Featch
My Cars:

Post by Featch »

My ZX 1.9 TD Aura has passive rear steering, rear disc brakes, 185/14 tyres on alloy wheels, ABS, electric font windows, electric sunroof and mirrors. And after 15 years it all still works as it was intended. Goes and corners like stink but remarkably frugal on fuel. It is SO much faster and better handling than my previous 1.9 D it's changed my whole outlook on oil burners.

As far as I know the Volcane has lower tighter suspension, more supportive seats and red stripes in the bumpers :wink:

Andy
Citroenless at the moment. CX or GS that is my dilemma!
2011 Volvo V70 D3
85 Mercedes 805d Campervan (Betsy))
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I once had a ZX 1.9 D n/a for 2 weeks as a hire car while on holiday in Spain. It was great, very spacious and comfortable and was quite nippy.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Featch wrote:My ZX 1.9 TD Aura has passive rear steering, rear disc brakes, 185/14 tyres on alloy wheels, ABS, electric font windows, electric sunroof and mirrors. And after 15 years it all still works as it was intended. Goes and corners like stink but remarkably frugal on fuel. It is SO much faster and better handling than my previous 1.9 D it's changed my whole outlook on oil burners.

As far as I know the Volcane has lower tighter suspension, more supportive seats and red stripes in the bumpers :wink:

Andy
Rear discs on an Aura :o .....My 1994 TD Aura had drums (no ABS) ...I have only ever seen rear discs on Volcane models.

The Tyres on mine were 175 /65/ 14 on standard alloys.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

The Volcanes are nifty little cars.
The ZX series all handle pretty well, but the Volcane with it's lower and stiffer suspension handles amazingly. With little or no body roll it could take hairpin turns faster than my friend's Alpine A610.
As standard this car comes fitted with vented front discs but rear drums, electric front windows, electric sunroof and electric passenger side mirror, which surprisingly enough don't fall victim to the french electrics gremlins very often. The rear seats could be moved forward and back to allow for more leg room or boot space, but they can't be folded completely down, however the boot is deceptively spacious. The driver's seat has adjustable bolster supports. Interior, although slightly plasticy was comfortable and surprisingly spacious, even in the back.
PAS is standard, however ABS and airbags aren't.
Fuel economy on the TD is amazing, assuming your head gasket hasn't blown *ahem* it'll approach 10 miles/litre. And as far as I know they're all equipped with the Bosch fuel pump.

There is a 2l petrol version, but I haven't seen many of them around. It's a trade-off between more power and fuel economy. Pays your money takes your choice on that one.

Things to look out for (on the turbodiesel):
Tachometer (rev counter) often fails, but I'm told that's a simple job to fix if you're that bothered about it.
Springs on the back doors tend to fail, so you have to yank and hold them open.
Dents, these cars have very thin body panels and are often covered in supermarket trolley dents.
...HEAD GASKET :D...
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

citroenxm wrote:Specs? Advantage, nothing, Aura, Front elec windows, PAS, Alloys, Sunroof, Volcane, as Aura, but with Front Fogs, sports bumpers, and sports seats, and a HARDER RIDE, All TD's Manual!
AVantage - there's no 'd'. :D

I had one with electric front windows and electric sunroof, but in typical Citroen spec fashion that means nothing. I've seen other Avantages with analogue windows and electric sunroof. :roll: I think it depended on what gear the bloke who was making your car had lying around the production line...

The Reflex was the bottom of the range - you were lucky to get an FM radio on that one. Less electrics to go wonky I suppose...
ImageImage
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

We had a 95 Avantage TD - with rear discs and ABS :? Must have been an option when built (as a WK reg car, it was probably a Cit demo originally). The rear disc setup is much much better than the drums - until the pressure limiters give up the ghost!
Richard W
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

All ZXs fitted with ABS have rear discs. Otherwise rear discs are only fitted to the higher spec models (all Volcanes and the 1.9/2 litre petrol models at a guess). As RichardW says, the brakes on rear-disc models are MUCH better than those with drums. My Volcane doesn't have ABS, and it doesn't particularly need it - as has been said above, a Volcane doesn't roll much, so the tyres stay in contact with the road most of the time. I would guess around 30% of the Volcanes have ABS. It was standard on the 155bhp 16v.

The 2 litre petrol Volcane uses the 130bhp engine. It's supposed to be a better drive than the 16v lump. Although the Volcane is lowered and stiffened slightly compared to lesser models, it's still a very comfortable car. (I doubt this would be the case on aftermarket alloys though - go for a car with standard alloys). The 16v is stiffened further than the Volcane, and has a beefier bodykit and spoiler :D .

Although the TD wasn't available in an automatic, there are a couple of automatic Volcanes about. I distinctly remember one that also had leather seats and aircon! Unfortunately it was a 5-door, or I'd probably have chased it.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
deian

Post by deian »

leather seats and air con, and abs and rear discs? nearly a xantia there lol