Xantia Brake Lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gnerk
My Cars:

Xantia Brake Lights

Post by Gnerk »

Hi,

It's the Xant Sensation '98 TD again.

Drove into work this morning and one of my colleagues comments that NONE of my brake lights were working (that'd be ND, OS and the middle boot light then...)

Looks like the brake pedal switch to me - is this a common failure on Xantia's? Can't see the part on GSF...

Thanks,

Ian.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I can't say its a common problem as I've never heard of such a failure before, in case you're not aware the switch is directly behind the pedal rubber.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i belive the cause of brake light switch faliure is mostly down to people sitting at junctions/traffic lights with there foot on the brake pedel,

although as Richard says i have not had the fit a new switch to a XANTIA yet,

most brake light switches cant handel 42W pluss what ever the centre lamp draws through them for a prolonged period and this can melt the internal plastic components,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:i belive the cause of brake light switch faliure is mostly down to people sitting at junctions/traffic lights with there foot on the brake pedel
For us drivers of autos, that's what we must do! It does not seem to cause that much of a problem and the brake lights must, by nature, spend a lot more time on than in a manual car.

Is yours an estate Gnerk? If so, I'd be suspecting a problem with a broken/shorted wire in the rubber concertinas that carry wires into the tailgate. It may have chafed, shorted and popped the fuse that protects this circuit. Off-hand I cannot rela which fuse it is. Alternatively, a bulb may have gone short-circuit to give the same symptoms.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:
citronut wrote:i belive the cause of brake light switch faliure is mostly down to people sitting at junctions/traffic lights with there foot on the brake pedel
For us drivers of autos, that's what we must do!
:shock: Eh? Blinding the person behind with the glare from your brake lights :x what's that thing down by your side for? I see a need to offer a lesson in driving an auto :lol: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

If the brake lights switch proves unable to cope with 42+ watts, then one option would be to fit LED stop/tail bulb replacements @ £15/pair

Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

DickieG wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
:shock: Eh? Blinding the person behind with the glare from your brake lights :x what's that thing down by your side for? I see a need to offer a lesson in driving an auto :lol: :lol:
And the thing by your side has the advantage of operating on the front wheels, perfect for a front wheel drive auto.......
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I nearly always sit at junctions with my foot on the brake, try not doing in an Xm auto let alone a manual!

Unless your someone who abuses the clutch and holds the bite or wants to faff on at every junction with the Xm handbrake then so be it. Id rather run the risk of blowing a bulb :lol:

Though ive always done it, brake lights are hardly dazzling in any case, well not during the day anyway.

If im going to be stopped for a few minutes or on a steep hill and not in an Xm then ill use my handbrake, but otherwise i use the foot brake.

Chris.
Last edited by Citroenmad on 06 Oct 2009, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well I guess in some cases it is advantageous to keep the brake lights on whilst stationary, such as at the back of a queue as a warning to approaching drivers, but when they pull up behind you I think it's courteous to release the foot brake, especially at night, as personally I do find modern brake lights can be really dazzling, enough in fact to hurt my eyes.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

DickieG wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
Are you an instructor?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Check your bulbs, & clean the terminals. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago- no reversing lights, no brake lights, and the indicator on the dashboard showing that my rear fog lights were on, when they weren't working at all. I checked the bulbs, which were all in working order. I then cleaned the terminals, and gave them a spray of Silicone Oil & all is fine since.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

ACTIVE8 wrote:
DickieG wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
Are you an instructor?
Might be :wink: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

I agree with the concensus that it is unlikely to be your brake ligth switch. The reason is i have worked at GSF for about 3 years in total and have never been asked for a Xantia brake light switch ever. We come across all the common faults and i like Jim suspect a wiring fault somewhere on the loom. Would they be wired on a series circuit? if so then wouldnt one break / split drop the whole circuit?
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:
ACTIVE8 wrote:
DickieG wrote: :shock: Eh? Blinding the person behind with the glare from your brake lights :x what's that thing down by your side for? I see a need to offer a lesson in driving an auto :lol: :lol:
Are you an instructor?
Might be :wink: :lol:
I'm thinking a bit of education for me might be very beneficial Richard :D Funny how I never really thought about what I was doing until now. I'm lazy in an auto. The selector goes to D and there it stays unless I need to go backwards. I never even considered dropping it into N at traffic lights until now :roll: :oops:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Image unlikely to be brake light switch :!: nor the fuse (cause 2 fuses are connected like front left & rear right and front right & rear left).
I keep my foot on the brake pedal when necessary, at traffic lights, uphill stops and etc. 8) Switch is operating perfectly :) .

So, Gnerk did you check other lights of the tailgate? Reverse, fog and aux brake. I guess the answer is inside the rubber outlet (tailgate <-> body).
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual