Xantia S1 headlamp identification

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantidote
My Cars:

Xantia S1 headlamp identification

Post by Xantidote »

My S1 is late 1995, so I presume I'm lucky enough to have the later S1 headlamp units - they seem to give a good light and spread.

The shiny metal in the offside unit is not so bright (particularly compared to nearside), and I can see dirt/dust lying on the frontmost horizontal metal, so I can either remove glass (seems plastic) and try to clean it up, or pick up another unit. Can't remember, but I think it must be this lamp that mists up a bit, which might explain some sort of pock marking that seems to be on the reflector surfaces - caused by the damp possibly?

If I were to go for replacement unit, can anyone explain the differences between the older and newer lamps? I am assuming it's only the lens design that changed?

Cheers - Martin :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Martin, the glass is clipped onto the backs by about 5 steel clips. Once you have removed the headlamp the glass will come off easily but the seal may stick a bit. The reflector is attached to the back at one end and to the left/right and up/down adjusters. Be VERY careful cleaning the reflector as the silver coating is very delicate. I used a camera lens blower brush and first blew off the dirt and grime. You can also clean the inside of the glass whilst you have it off.

Richard
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Estate (Sold - replaced with Skoda Octavia (sorry))
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I don't think the better headlight lenses arrived until some in 96.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I always had the idea that the 'better' headlights came in '94. My workmate's early 94 Xantia had one original headlight and a newer one. The differences were to the lenses, the early had straight lines down the glass whereas the newer ones had arrows pointing horizontally...describes it well enough I hope :lol:

I purchased a replacement NS headlight for my Xant from a M reg car which had the newer type. There is always still the possibility that this headlight has been in several cars over the years :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

On my very early sinker, I have a belief there was a dip deflector lens made of plastic under the glass, a bit like you see in early F**d Mundaneos. You can tell because the deflector goes a bit yellow over time and stands out.

I may be wrong on the exact details but there is definitely a difference between early MK1 and late MK1. My 96 Activa has a the later ones and they're good, especially as the relay mod has been done on that one. Like a pair of searchlights :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The improved MK1 lenses appeared in 94. The early ones were about as bright as a damp candle, the headlights on my old 'L' reg VSX were awful.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

My April 1995 VSX had the early lenses on the headlights. I am 100% sure, because I tried to swap one onto the V6, but it did not match.

Maybe there was a third earlier type?
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

CitroJim wrote:On my very early sinker, I have a belief there was a dip deflector lens made of plastic under the glass, a bit like you see in early F**d Mundaneos. You can tell because the deflector goes a bit yellow over time and stands out.

I may be wrong on the exact details but there is definitely a difference between early MK1 and late MK1. My 96 Activa has a the later ones and they're good, especially as the relay mod has been done on that one. Like a pair of searchlights :D

Tell me more about the relay mod please.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

xantia_v6 wrote:My April 1995 VSX had the early lenses on the headlights. I am 100% sure, because I tried to swap one onto the V6, but it did not match.

Maybe there was a third earlier type?
I imagine that either the car was new old stock when registered or the headlights were replaced due to an 'unfortunate incident'.

There were only two versions of MK1 headlight's, having now looked it up the change over date in production was 29th June 1994.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

mark21td wrote:
CitroJim wrote:On my very early sinker, I have a belief there was a dip deflector lens made of plastic under the glass, a bit like you see in early F**d Mundaneos. You can tell because the deflector goes a bit yellow over time and stands out.

Tell me more about the relay mod please.
Take a look at this thread http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=20887 I did the mod on what is now Jim's Activa and it made a world of difference, I'll have a chat with you about it on Sunday.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

That's great information guys, thank you very much. Confirms I've got later type, which I always suspected, but out of interest I must find a very early model to see the older type headlamp. Think I'll have a go (carefully!) at cleaning the headlamp out, but depends how easy it is to remove grille.

mark21td - it's worth following the link given by DickieG - very informative. Well worth doing, both from what I've read on the forum, and speaking personally from the fitting of relay into the dip circuit done last week. For me, most difficult decision was where to locate the relay. Seems the options are to place relay inside the headlamp requiring just a power feed to it (just a little squashed in there), or to locate it elsewhere. Some members put relays in fuse box near battery, and/or in ecu housing on offside.

I opted for long winded route, using just 1 relay, fitted into spare location in fusebox, beside the 2 purple relays for the glowplugs circuitry. Obtained Citroen type socket from scrappy, actually off Peugot, and took power from glow plugs busbar using large spade fuse and carrier, again off Peugot. Rather fiddly, especially retrieving the connectors from socket so as to solder the new wiring connections into the socket, but a good job in the end. May be simpler to buy new socket & connectors from Citroen? Power from relay taken to new in-line fuses, one for each headlamp. Cable(s) pass into headlamp through small hole (with grommet) drilled near existing wiring, just below the removable dust cover, which needs to be retained.

How beneficial the relay mod is to you will depend on the voltage drop you presently have between the battery positive and the bulb. I measured my losses as 1.3-1.4 volts. You can get an idea of the benefit on your car by taking a temporary jump lead from battery positive direct to bulb, and shining headlamps against garage door - if difference noticeable in daylight, then I suggest it's worth doing.

A totally different option to improve headlights would be to fit Xenon bulbs, which seem to be rated at +30%, +50%, or +90% (I assume this means in terms of light output. Bulbs still rated at 55 watts). I think CitroJim likes Osram Silver Stars. Or go the whole hog and do both.

There are also losses in the earth circuits, but less significant, as the negative has shorter cable runs.

Added bonus of mod is that you reduce the current passing through ignition switch.

Cheers - Martin :) :)
Martin

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Both my '94 and my '97 Xantias had the newer style of headlight lense, I'd describe the headlights on both those cars as poor at best. The '94 reflectors had lost a lot of their reflective coating so they were poor, but the '97 had perfect reflectors and it wasn't a great deal better. The HID lights in my C5 are a whole lot better :)

Check whether the rear covers are on your headlights, if they go missing, water gets in and brings dirt in with it, the silver on the mirror will start to disappear soon afterwards.

If you take your headlights apart you'll find that the silver on the reflectors is very difficult to clean without scratching, so don't try to clean it unless it's really dirty....
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hi Kowalski, and thanks for your reply.

Funny how some members think their lights are OK, and some such as yourself find them poor. - perhaps they're poor compared to your C5. Design technology moves on, and you have HID as well.

The rear covers are present and correct. Just had the offside lamp out, as tarnished & dirty inside, near the front. Washed some surfaces, seemingly with little improvement, but the main reflector behind bulb looked reaonable, so left it alone. Found glass not sealing along bottom, near centre fixing bolt, for about 2-3", due to the black plastic housing having a 4" crack/split in it, running back from the seal's groove, from near the centre bolt. This explains all, and must have happened before I bought the car 11 years ago. The crack had been crudely repaired with a sort of putty, which had partly come away. Cleaned up and sealed as best as can with bit of help from silicon rubber.

In comparison, the nearside headlamp is pristine (left well alone!). If I come across a really good used offside headlamp, then I'd fit it, but the light's back in and working for time being - suck it and see.

Have just finished doing the relay mod and wiring upgrade, and in terms of voltage drop, and voltages at the bulbs, am very pleased. Will be interesting to see how much better it is on the road

Cheers - Martin :) :)
Martin

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xantidote wrote:Have just finished doing the relay mod and wiring upgrade, and in terms of voltage drop, and voltages at the bulbs, am very pleased. Will be interesting to see how much better it is on the road
Good news on the relay mod, don't forget to check the alignment as most headlights are set too low, you'll need a long Allen key in order to adjust them IIRC the height is adjusted way of the holes nearest the centre of the bonnet shut panel.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Thanks DickieG, I'll be doing an alignment check when cars back on level ground. I was looking at the adjusters whilst headlamp removed, and surprised to see that at the bottom of the socket for the allen key, there was a "head" to suit what looked like No. 2 phillips. Never seen any reference anywhere to using a screwdriver to do adjustment. Out of choice, I'll stick with allen key.

Cheers - Martin
Martin