Burst hose , LHM everywhere !!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Burst hose , LHM everywhere !!!

Post by HDI »

Just had the main hydraulic feed pipe burst for the 6th time !!!
This has been an issue since I've had the car , initially I was replacing the pipe with the original Citroen part but I got pi55ed off having to get to the stealer everytime so I made my own flexible hose up. This outlasts the original steel pipe but it just burst again !!

What the heck is causing this ? Also , will there be issues with the hydractive system ecu due to losing all the fluid.

Just need to go out now and wash all the muckin LHM of the drive !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Which pipe is this (rubber or metal)? Should I also order as a spare part :roll:
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Like a fuse blowing, you'd best find the cause quick. Any clues from the state of the damaged hose? - ie overpressure or something catching on it or rats knawing :lol:

Have a word with (Martin is it?) from Plaeides (sorry if the spelling's wrong) as I'm sure he could offer some insight and might even have a better than OEM replacement hose at a price you like to boot!
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

It's the small , rigid steel , high pressure feed pipe from the hydraulic pump. The original Citroen pipe pin hole's due to excess pressure , my stainless steel braided hose just burst's , again due to excess pressure.

My theory is that when the suspension intermittently goes hard , a fault I know about , the car bounces and causes pressure surges in the hydraulics. I don't know if there is a pressure relief valve in the system.

At least the car gets regular fluid changes !!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i had a customers BX 16V GTI get through i think three metal pipes a few years back, the replcement were copper knicle, turned out someone previous to me had removed a pipe securing bracket,

i could not understan or belive this was the fault as the pipe from the pump to the steering flow valve are both mounted at rigid points to each other, both on the gear box houseing,

all the replacement pipes the customer had Martin supply,

you are aware a XANTIA has i belive 2600psi running in that pipe,

also i think this pipe has another pipe inside as a reinforecer

regards malcolm
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

I had a similar problem on a BX some years ago.

After having some work done at a local garage the steel HP pipe from the pump started failing. Replaced a couple before I sorted out the reason (thought the first was just old age !).

Very spectacular when it went (one time on the motorway) as on the BX it sprays directly onto the exhaust. Fortunately on the BX you could also drive a long way without the pump, using the suspension stored energy to drive the steering and brakes. In my case some 30m.

But I digress, it turned out that the garage had left off one of the small plastic "P" clips that supported the pipe to the engine block. The extra unsupported length was vibrating and failing the pipe in fatigue. Replaced the "p" clip and problem went away !

I know the Xant is different but it might just be worth checking the pipe is properly supported.

John
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

I also considered fatigue , but that doesn't explain the flexible hose failing.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

These pipes are a problem for lots of people and sometimes the answer is a simple fitting error but sometimes the answer is I dont know!!

I have had one customer replace the pipe with about 3 of our cupro nickel pipes that all burst after a while and then bought another series of pipes brand new and they all burst, we supplied him with a high pressure flexible pipe that seems to have been fine so far.

First the pipe does need to be fitted without stress in both ends, ie the pipe nuts should be able to be screwed in using your fingers without any trouble at both ends, then ALL of the pipe clamps MUST be fitted, again without pulling on the pipe at all.

Check that you have all of the clamps, it could be that someone has changed the pipe before you got the car and threw one away as it was too akward to fit, check this against another car.

The regulator can also cause the pipe to burst. The regulator cuts out when the system pressure reaches 175- or 2750psi in old money, if the regulator has gone fubarred the pressure will go up and up untill something breaks, the Xantia pump is capable of developing up to 6000 psi, I have tried one on the testing rig and ran out of guts at 6000 so stopped the test.

The constant clicking from a flat accumulator sphere can also cause a pipe to fail and also damage the regulator.

It is certainly worth checking all of these things as the pipe will allways pick the worst time to fail.

Regards
Martin.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

John wrote
" Fortunately on the BX you could also drive a long way without the pump,"

i had the short walking stick pipe between the flow valve and regulater on my old BX burst, just after disenbarking a ferry at dover a few years ago,

about 10.30ish pm one day,

fist the steering got heavy then the suspension went down, then eventualy the brakes went,

i drove the car home like it all the way to Hasting about 49/50 miles,

well the hand brake dose opperate the main front pads, got just around the cornner from home and ripped the rear box off, the rear box was near the end of its life anyway

regards malcolm
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I had exactly the same on my 1.9TD. It was the main pipe between the pump and hydraulic pressure regulator. After changing the pipe three times I realised that the pressure regular wasn't tightened up properly to the engine block (or gearbox.. can't remember). There should be a thread somewhere in the database I think with pic's.

Ian
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I had two fail on an XM some years ago and the problem was due to a flat accumulator sphere, if it is working correctly it cushions the pulse from the pump engaging, if it isn't the pipe will fail at the connection with the pump.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

I'm assuming the accumulator sphere is ok as there is no excessive clicking.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !