XANTIA HDI RADIATOR HOT AT TOP COOL AT BOTTOM!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moggy74
My Cars:

XANTIA HDI RADIATOR HOT AT TOP COOL AT BOTTOM!

Post by moggy74 »

Just noticed the radiator and top hose are hot ,the radiator is alot cooler at the bottom,along with the bottom hose,temperature on gauge is fine approx 90....car warms up normally,performance is fine etc,is there an issue maybe an air lock?...is there a type of bleed screw near the stat housing i need to open?

many thanks,excellent forum,very helpful...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

You are seeing normal operation if the cooling fans are running. Hot water goes into the top of the radiator, and gets cooler as it travels towards the outlet at the bottom. If you turn the A/C off and the fans stop, then after a few minutes of idling, you should find warm and then hot water at the bottom hose, and evenually, the fans should come back on again.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when the cooling system is running corectly and it is up to full running temprature, the rad should be evenly hot akk over from top to bottom,

the first thing to try is remove the header tank cap and the plug/bung from the battery end of the top of the rad,

now pour coolant in through the header tank till cool;ant comes out of the battery end of the rad and stops sinking, now put the plug back in and run the engine for a good few minuet with the cap still off of the tank and till the top hose starts to get hot, as this indicates the thermostat has opend, keep it running for a bit linger topping up the tank as required, once the coolant stops sinking in the tank re/fit the tank cap and continue tto run the engine till the fans cut in, when they cut back out gingerly remove the tank cap to check the stabilaty of the coolant,

if all is well you should only get a small release of presure

regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's an HDi don't forget, and the rad is HUUUUUGE.... This weather it's likely that the thermostat is only just open, and hence bottom of the rad cold is not a surprise. If the temp is rock steady at 90 ish, and doesn't climb if you work it hard up hill, and the heater is warm, then I wouldn't worry about it.
Richard W