Xantia Headlight Puzzle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chevron Terry
My Cars:

Xantia Headlight Puzzle

Post by Chevron Terry »

Hi ,
Last night , while driving home , I found that the main beam worked and side lights , but no ! dipped headlights !
I transferred the two blown dipped headlight bulbs to the main beam ones , just to get home .
When I got home , to my amazment , the dipped headlights refused to turn off . So I unplugged the bulbs !
How bizzare !!
Anyone got any ideas ,
thanks
Terry .
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hi Terry,

As you say, bizzare. I assume what you mean is that en route home, you found both dip bulbs blown, and that you switched both dip and main beam bulbs over, to get home. What's the situation today? Presumably no change.

Any other problem electrics or blown bulbs? Could you have had a power surge/voltage spike, say if alternator regulator playing up?

My S1 Xantia has no relays (yet) on any headlamp circuit, but not sure if read somewhere that S2 had some relays? Which model's yours? Just wondering if relay contacts could have been playing up, making and breaking repeatedly to blow the bulbs, and then finally welding together to give you the permanent "on" position. Or the fault goes back to a problem in the relay coil's operating circuit

Interested in what you find

Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Chevron Terry
My Cars:

Xantia Headlight Puzzle

Post by Chevron Terry »

Hi again ,
The reason for the headlights staying on ! was a fault with the alarm Relay . I have taken out the relay , now the new bulbs are ok and Iam able to turn the lights off .
Next challenge , solving the alarm problem , [ hopefully only the relay . ]
Many thanks

Terry .
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Martin, I dont think any Xantia has relay switched headlights. My S2 does now, but only after I put the relays in..

dips on an old S1 I had were definately connected to alarm, as you found Terry..

John
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hi Terry - well at least you've pinpointed the problem - that's half the battle.

John - thank you for correcting me - thought I'd read somewhere about relays on S2 headlamps. Although my S1 lights are good (IMHO), checked the voltage drop on positive side which then made me think installing a relay would be beneficial. Nearly completed fitting the mods to dip beam circuit, and brief test on one headlamp showed the positive voltage drop from battery reduced by approx 1.1 volts, so a worthwhile excercise, albeit a bit fiddly

Martin :)
Martin

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

:D hi Martin
I dont rate my S2 lights even with relays.. may check the voltage in a sec..

decent bulbs probably the next step

J
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Yes,

Once you've fitted relays, then higher output bulbs seems to be the only option remaining. I'll see how the relay installation performs on my car (fitted 1 relay on the dip circuit) before uprating the bulbs

Martin :)
Martin