weak interior fan ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Image that filter has made at least 100k :lol:
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Mines just as bad as that !! The cover was jammed so tight I was convinced it wasn't removable !! Didn't have a replacement so I've just vac'd it out for now and it's made a noticable difference to the air flow !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

You can wash the filter in soapy water, and even with a soft spray of the garden hose.
The spongy surround may come off, but if the glue is kept clean, it will stick back on when dry.
The main thing is to have a quick drying time, so that it doesn’t get the time to rot.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Just priced one up from my local motor factor at £11 sumat + vat so will pick it up later.

Can't believe the difference it made to ventialtion on the way home last night ! I've never noticed there is upper and lower level temperature zones before !!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Fitted a new pollen filter and the difference is day and night !! The auto setting now works as it should and the ventilation is now excellent ! On manual full power setting there is a real gale out of the vents now !
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
citroDane
My Cars:

Re: Xantia blower

Post by citroDane »

scratcher wrote:Hi, they can start to get a bit slow if the brushes
on the motor are getting worn. I have had to replace mine and my friends. You can get brushes from any small firm who "does up car electrical motors and dynamos", you will have to buy a slightly larger size and carefully sand them down to size until they fit. Should'nt cost more than £2. Worth a try! Gerry
Hi Gerry,

Hope you're still active. I think I have the same problem. Sure, the dirtier the pollen filter, the less air flowing. But this is something else. I’ve had my car for past 9 years and the fan has grown weaker progressively and I know this because she has been with me for such a long time and I still remember the days of yore, when even with the filthy old clogged up filter she had on her when I bought her, her fan would blow my sunglasses off!

So having had enough –driving around with fogged up windows- I’m out to fight the problem and I think I’d start with your suggestion and go replace the fan motor brushes. Albeit, one question; my Haynes manual doesn’t have a section on the fan, so I’m wondering where it is. It wouldn’t be sitting under the right side of the dashboard (next/close to the pollen filter), would it? That’s the only place I myself would start digging.

Thanks,
Gabriel
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, passenger side near the kick panel. The brushes start out 22mm long approximately. By the time they are 8mm long, a lot of the contact pressure is gone.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: weak interior fan ?

Post by Mandrake »

I find the fan in my Mk2 Xantia V6 is nowhere near as good as my Mk1 Xantia was. The pollen filter on both cars has been changed, so its not a blocked pollen filter in one. The fan has plenty of oomph (speed and noise) on full speed, the output from the facia vents is ok (but not amazing) however the footwell and demist vents are both rather pathetic when selected, as if they're blocked or a hose has fallen off. Anyone have any ideas ?

I also notice that while the full fan speed sounds about the same as the Mk1, the lower speed settings seem significantly slower than the Mk1 for the same slider setting - only the top two settings, full blast and almost full blast are useful, the manual settings below those two are more or less useless.

The auto setting works ok and will put the fan on full blast when there is a large temperature difference to make up, but once the cabin approaches the desired temperature the fan speed becomes excessively slow in auto... From what I can see the Mk1 and Mk2 climate control ECUs have quite different behaviour, particularly in regard to the automatic fan speed...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
citroDane
My Cars:

Re:

Post by citroDane »

addo wrote:Yes, passenger side near the kick panel. The brushes start out 22mm long approximately. By the time they are 8mm long, a lot of the contact pressure is gone.
Thanks man. Will try to take it out and change the brushes. Any idea where I can buy them (preferably online)?

Cheers,
Gabriel
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

This was my most recent supplier: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270647383913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very quick to mail out.
citroDane
My Cars:

Re:

Post by citroDane »

addo wrote:This was my most recent supplier: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270647383913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very quick to mail out.
Great. Very reasonable prices too. I'll get on the stick and order now! ;-)
Thanks a lot.
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
citroDane
My Cars:

Re: weak interior fan ?

Post by citroDane »

Mandrake wrote:I find the fan in my Mk2 Xantia V6 is nowhere near as good as my Mk1 Xantia was. The pollen filter on both cars has been changed, so its not a blocked pollen filter in one. The fan has plenty of oomph (speed and noise) on full speed, the output from the facia vents is ok (but not amazing) however the footwell and demist vents are both rather pathetic when selected, as if they're blocked or a hose has fallen off. Anyone have any ideas ?

I also notice that while the full fan speed sounds about the same as the Mk1, the lower speed settings seem significantly slower than the Mk1 for the same slider setting - only the top two settings, full blast and almost full blast are useful, the manual settings below those two are more or less useless.
Sounds more or less like the symptoms I have. I'll try to change the blower motor brushes and will post back the results. Might take a while before I get them though -as I'm ordering online (& live in Croatia).
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215