XANTIA HDI HP PUMP

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moggy74
My Cars:

XANTIA HDI HP PUMP

Post by moggy74 »

Hi,
I seem to have a problem with the hp pump on my x reg 2.0 HDi Xantia,basically its leaking from under the pump,any tips on removing the pump,also do i go for a re con unit or try and get this one repaired,what happens to them presume the body seal goes?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Moggy74 and welcome to the forum :D

The pump often leaks from the piston cover caps; these are sealed by replaceable O rings but it's not really an easy DIY job as the caps can be very, very tight and damages is easily done in trying to remove them. The only easy seal to replace at home is the one under the suspension outlet hexagon and this one is often the one that leaks. Leaks from ubnder though may not be this one although it could be leakage running down from the outlet hexagon. Give the pump a good clean to determine exactly where it is leaking.

It's best and easiest to have your pump overhauled by Pleiades. They will do the job and fully test your pump. (click on the blue text for their contact details) Pleiades comes very highly recommended and many of us on here have used them in the past for hydraulic work.

As for removal, it's not difficult on an HDi. Remove the auxillary drive belt, disconnect the hydraulic pipes to the pump, remove the two pump mounting bolts and lift out of the mounting cradle. Note that the mounting bolts are very special and note how they are arranged.

One reason pumps leak is because the hydraulic accumulator sphere is flat or nearly so. This puts the pump under a lot of strain. Check the tick rate from the pressure regulator behind the accumulator sphere. You should hear a ticking sound at greater than 30 second intervals. This is the sound of the regulator cutting in and out to maintain system pressure, much like a thermostat. If it is very fast, replace your accumulator sphere otherwise even after the pump is overhauled, it'll soon start leaking again. A fast tick rate can also make the pressure regulator leak.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Just clarify...

HP Hydraulic pump, HP Fuel pump?? Getting confusing with the Newer HDi engines... :lol:

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a good point Paul, I never gave it a second thought :oops: Thanks for clarifying the matter :D

Not being very HDi-savvy I made an assumption that hp pump = hydraulic pump. :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
moggy74
My Cars:

XANTIA HP PUMP

Post by moggy74 »

Yes its the hydraulic pump,any clues on prices of these pumps please?
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

HP pumps are quite expensive but I guess most probably you would find it on eBay for a reasonable price.
Try search in eBay Car Parts & Accessories with "Xantia HP pump" --> I have seen one like this:
CITROEN XANTIA HP PUMP 2 PIPE DIESEL CIT7F5
Item condition: New
Quantity: 2 available
Price: £235.00

On the other hand HP pumps can be repaired by seal replacement which is more economical.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Also from car breakers you can find HP pump for a reasonable price. I prefer them because I can find a good conditioned item from a low mileage car.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: XANTIA HP PUMP

Post by citroenxm »

moggy74 wrote:Yes its the hydraulic pump,any clues on prices of these pumps please?
RE: Jims Posting,

UNLESS its the main shaft leaking, behind the pully, OR between the body, its likly to be a 60p seal!!

Have a good look, breakers can be cheap, they mistake them for PAS pumps, but they do a bit more then just steering, and can sell them modestly..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
moggy74
My Cars:

HP PUMP

Post by moggy74 »

sourched a re con one from Pleides,....ok now for taking the old one off,is the small pulley between the bottom pulley and the air con pulley the maually adjusted tensioner,if so this needs to be slackened to pop the belt off?..the bottom long mounting bolt on the pump looks like a pig to get off,is it a hex or torx and only accessble through the pump pulley?...does the black box need to come out the way to get the bolt out?....

any help would be great thanks guys....