Engine bay fuse box

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Engine bay fuse box

Post by MikeT »

Does anyone know how to dismantle the engine bay fusebox and if the relay holders/connectors are standard items I could find in Maplins or RS etc? I've got a couple of empty holes I'd like populate with fused relays.

I had a quick look and poke around but can't work out the sequence without risking breaking something though I did manage to lift one part out ok.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Doubt u will find those relays & holders at Maplin or even RS.
U would need to find an Automotive electrics supplier. There is one in Worcester call Truck Stop Hawk and they keep EVERYTHING automotive electrical I've ever needed. Dunno where u are but there will be a place like this near u.
For example , I changed to a race battery on my Mitsubishi Evo 6 and relocated it. I needed some extra flexible battery cable and crimp ends , heavy duty fused connectors , earth bus connectors etc etc. They had the lot on the shelf. They also keep every automotive electrical fuse known to man !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Ok, thanks HDI. Obtaining the holders isn't strictly necessary as I can use other solutions but it would make a nice neat job of it. I'll see if can get them off a breaker instead but what I really need is to know how to take off those fuse and relay holders so I can fit new relays and route the wires properly.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The fuse box is obviously attached with screws to the body. The relay and fuse holders will be clipped into the fuse box base. Wiring is crimped to the socket pins , a tool is needed to release the pins.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's a nightmare Mike :twisted: The relay holders themselves can be removed quite easily by twisting them after pushing the locking tang away. They are held in place using a bayonet arrangement. How the fuse panel is attached I don't know but I do know how to remove (partially) the whole fusebox assembly itself as this is a required operation on a V6 engine removal.

The box itself is held to the inner wing by two (or maybe three) 10mm nuts. One is found buried under a nest of wires at the front after removing the lower panel that faces you nearest the inner wing. The other is opposite at the back and is again hidden and nearly inaccessible by wires. I think there is a third near the edge furthest from the inner wing.

This, however, will only allow you to move and tilt it by a bit. It will not remove it totally or give you much access underneath it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I don't really want to remove the box itself, just acces the underside of the fuse and relay trays.

Thanks for the procedure on releasing the relay holders, that's a great help!

Just to clarify, I want to tap an ignition switched feed found among the fuses (to energise the relays) and add two relays for which I need the holders (or can bodge a fitting). I will then tap the main battery input terminals for the high power feeds to the relays via inline fuses. I've got the necessary relays, wires, crimps etc.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I wired up an additional starter solenoid relay in my mk1 V6. If I recall coorectly, the plastic piece with the holes for the relay sockets can be unclipped and twisted out without removing the main box, giving restricted access to the wiring and allowing the rewiring of the (on the V6) spare socket.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You can get the relay holders & terminals seperately from citroen dealers, not too expensive if i remember right.