Xsara VTR exterior door handle replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bruce H
My Cars: Citroen GS by several
Citroen Xantia SX by several

Xsara VTR exterior door handle replacement

Post by Bruce H »

Hi all
Have asked on aussiefrogs with no reply, so now I'll try here. How do you replace an exterior door handle on a Xsara - it appears to be held on by two rivets? Are replacement rivets normally supplied with new door handles, and if not does anyone know their size?
GS by several
Xantia SX by several

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS; GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbirotor.weebly.com/
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I had to replace a rear handle on my Xsara.

Earlier Xsaras were held in by nuts and screws but later ones are indeed rivetted. You have to drill the rivets out. Front and rear doors are different but, providing it's just the outside flap that you've broken. you can mix and match the bit that's hidden inside.

I had already taken the door liner off to remove the drilled off rivets inside (I SO hate a rattle, don't you) but I think it's necessary anyway as I had to remove tha latch mechanism as well so that I could open the door flap wide enough to get my rivet gun in. Possibly if you have a special rivet gun this might not be necessary?

My brother supplied me with rivets so I didn't have that problem and the handle was second-hand so I don't know if rivets come with a new one. I doubt it though.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The rivets dont come with the handle but you can buy them from the dealers fairly cheaply. The rivets are quite big though & need a fairly big rivet gun to fit them.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

wheeler wrote:The rivets are quite big though & need a fairly big rivet gun to fit them.
Yes, perhaps I should have mentioned that I had to use the "lazy tongs" type to get the pull needed. And my brother to stop the handle from falling out whilst doing it!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Bruce H
My Cars: Citroen GS by several
Citroen Xantia SX by several

Post by Bruce H »

Thanks
Couldn't source the rivets easily so gave in and took it to my repairer. Just got the replacements door clips in the mail so now just have to refit the interior door trim.
GS by several
Xantia SX by several

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS; GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbirotor.weebly.com/