XM Accumulator sphere ticking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

edgeone

Post by edgeone »

I have a '95 [N] 2.0l 16v 89000miles - just started ticking noise from front - topped up LHM and raised / lowered twice - seemed to cure problem but now has started again one day later - is this the accumulator sphere needing a change - if so how is it done - am reasonably mechanically competent
thanks
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Hi

The ticking is normal, it is the sound of a valve opening to allow pressure from the pump to the distribution side of the system, the next click is the valve closing and diverting unwanted fluid from the constantly running pump back to the resovoir.
Its the time between the ticks that is crucial, 20sec is ok but not healthy either any less than 10 is bad and can cause stress on the high pressure pipe from the pump, idealy you want about 40sec+ between clicks, short tick times can be because of a flat accumulator sphere, this is because as the sphere loses pressure it can no longer hold as much lhm and so this now smaller reserve is used quicker and the pump must cut it more often to recharge it, hence fast tick times, the other poss is that there is one or more components leaking more fluid than usual internaly back to the lhm resovoir because of wear, this leakage puts greater demand on the supply side of the circuit and the accumulator sphere is emptied much quicker than usual, again causing fast tick times.
Start with a new acc sphere first but if you have no other symptoms this should sort the problem out
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
edgeone

Post by edgeone »

many thanks for the advice - do you know where can I get information online re changing the sphere - or do I have to get a workshop manual
thanks
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

lots of people who own cits regas their own but to be honest they are £25 each from gsf so i dont bother, all acc spheres are the same, i use an xm front centre/hydractive sphere as it is charged to the same pressure and has the same fitting but holds a larger volume but the choice is yours.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: XM Accumulator sphere ticking

Post by myglaren »

edgeone wrote:many thanks for the advice - do you know where can I get information online re changing the sphere - or do I have to get a workshop manual
thanks
Welcome to the forum edgeone.

There is a fairly exhaustive guide here that describes the servicing and maintenence of the whole hydraulic system
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

didnt see you asked how it was done :roll: with the engine running lower the car to minimum height (not needed but its always best to depressurise everything for saftey sake) turn off the engine and open the bonnet, the acc sphere is on the front of the engine and on the front of the unit it is fixed to (pressure regulator) there is a 12mm bolt, undo it no more than 1 turn and you may hear a hiss as it releases any pressure in the distribution side of things but if the sphere is flat maybe not as it will not be holding much of a reserve, now all you have to do is undo the sphere and remove its seal then fit the new seal onto the pressure regulator not the sphere itself, wipe a little lhm on the threads and put it back on HAND TIGHT ONLY.
Restart the car and let it run for a minute or two so any air can be bled out then do up the 12mm headed pressure release bolt and raise the suspension back to normal height and your all done.

Good luck

Edit or you could look at this yes :lol:
There is a fairly exhaustive guide here that describes the servicing and maintenence of the whole hydraulic system
XM Prestige PRV6 92