Xantia stopping, high engine temperature.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kyb

Xantia stopping, high engine temperature.

Post by kyb »

Have a xantia that gets a very hot (not boiling) then stops. If i wait a few minutes it starts ok and seems ok again.

-Checked the plugs, and they seem fine. A little white but should be within range. Also changed them recently.

-When the fan kicks in the rev goes down a bit.

-Before it stops the idle is very uneven. And there is hesitation when i give it gas.

-There is also hesitation when i break down and give it gas(turning in intersections and such).

What is the most likly cause. ? air mass sensor, lamda, ecu ?

All help appreciated :)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Can you give engine details, it's obviously petrol but which one?
Is the engine management light giving any indications?
Any history of recent problems or work done?
The more detail you can give, the better.
kyb

Post by kyb »

The engine is the 1.8i 8valve.

The k light is sometimes on for a short while when the engine starts.

No work done on the engine. It has a small amount of free exaust before the silencer at the back. It also has had some problems with the hydraylics, but changed a few spheres and seems better now, but i dont think that could be related. Changed the timing belt and water pump, but thats 9 months ago also.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

The biggest thing you ned to crack is the running hot issue...you dont want that to get out of hand or you'll end up in head gasket territory.

My bet is the coolant temp sensor....modern engines seem to throw all sorts of curve ball faults when they go and they are only cheap :wink:

Either that or fuel vapourisation....i.e fuel vapourising in the lines when the cooling air flow stops on the engine...this starves fuel flow somewhat and hey presto it cuts out. Soon as temperature drops a tad its business as usual again. I had this on an old ZX 1.4. It would happen coming to a stop, or when the engine gets very hot as you say

Coolant temp sens first i reckon :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

How hot is "very hot"?

Check for a blocked fuel tank vent by removing the cap after it has stopped.
scratcher
My Cars:

xantia_v6

Post by scratcher »

Hi, I had a similar problem a long time ago with a GSA when unleaded first came out. Traced in down to water in the fuel. The higher density of water means that the fuel pump has to work harder consequently the vacuum needed to pull up the petrol is greater. When the fuel lines get hot and there is lmore vacuum the unleaded petrol vapourises at a lower temperature and causes vapour in the pipes which inturuptes the fuel flow. If this has has happened since you last topped up with fuel it might be worth checking the bowl of the carb, if any water check the fuel tank. I got about two pints of water out of mine. This was a long time ago but it might be a problem. Gerry
Xantia vsx
GSA 1300
Previous AMI8 estate
GS1015
GSA1300 estate
BX16
BX17d
BX19destate
BX19d
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

A good point Gerry,

One of the GSF vans was filled up (albeit with diesel) at a forecourt and subsequently ran like a bag of spanners. The mechanic drained 12 litres of water out of the tank from a 40 litre fuel up :shock:

It had happened before to one of my guys on their car also :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...