Thinking of buying a Saxo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Caz

Thinking of buying a Saxo

Post by Caz »

Hi everyone.

I'm going to look at a 2001 (Y reg) Saxo 1.5D Desire at the weekend and wondered if you could point me in the right direction about what to look out for / any common problems with the model?

Usually by brother comes with me to look for a car (the two I've bought before anyway!) so feel free to treat me as a total novice!

I'm looking for a car to take me my 40 miles to work and back cheaply. Do you think this car will be able to handle that?

Also, the car is priced at £1,500 with 64K on the clock and FSH. Is this the right price in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

Caroline
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi. We've had a '98 Saxo in our family fleet for 10 years. It's been a very reliable little car never having had any breakdowns. It's easy to maintain and gets through the MOT without major requirements year after year. It isn't the quietest of engines, especially when standing alongside it, but once on the road and in fifth gear, noise levels aren't bad. Fuel consumption isn't as good as a more modern small diesel engine, but on the other hand, it has simplicity in its favour. Expect 48 to 50mpg on a run. Wheels and tyres are of a popular size so the cost of replacement of tyres is fairly modest.

Of course how the previous owner has looked after it is impossible to say from a description. Try to see the car start from cold. It should fire up first attempt and run rather fast. Look for any smoke coming from the tail pipe. There should be very little. Drive it - all the gears should be easily slipped into without any noise, including reverse. After half a mile, the tickover speed of the engine should have dropped.

Steering should be light with the engine running. Take a look in the coolant reservoir - the black tank over to the left. The water may be coloured but should also look clear. Also level should be within an inch of the neck.

Price wise, the asking price is at the top end of the range, so I would expect the interior to be first class and also the bodywork to be without any damage. Look closely at the tyres and if they are showing signs of wear, suggest a reduction for some replacements.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Caz

Post by Caz »

That's great advice John, thank you. I'll make sure to look out for those things you suggested.

From the pictures, the car looks like it's in decent condition, but I'll make sure to look thoroughly before handing over any cash!

Thanks again,

Caroline