Xantia- Oil in water

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Hi sounds excatly like mine did the same thing.has it got anything leaking down front of block behind pump? just look through gap where bottom of carrier ends.you can see a small core plug? it pools on casting webb. think mine was cracked head? ran no problem started on the button. but just pumped oil into waterways till one day it just emptyied sump into it pushing water out of tank then when left drained back into engine with water?.Changed engine and this ones now got head gasket going (bubbles/pressurising)but atleast it's only head off as belt etc is ok?!!
xantia 19td estate 96-7
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Head gasket it is then. :(

We now have a choice. There is a good spare engine available, it's a 1996 version without A/C so there would have to be some jiggery pokery with ancillaries, but that's no big hardship with the engines out. The question is whether it's easier to change the engine or do the head gasket.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Change engines, you KNOW FOR CERTAIN the head os tourqued down properly! HOWEVER saying that, the Laminated gaskets that they get replaced with are MUCH more reliable now, and VERY much LESS likly to fail again if you get a NEW set of bolts and Tourque her down correctly...

Turbos CAN be left in place too on XUD head off jobs.. inlet off, then studs out by the method of locking two 13mm nuts together.. just the exhaust pipe join bolts can be a sod to get at...

If you do an engine change, you will also have to swap oil sumps to accomodate the Air Con compressor, and as you said the Aux bracket that holds the HP Pump and Altinator.. AGAIN this is all EASY stuff when the two units are out... Ive just recently upgraded my 1994 L SX, upto Air con, and put this bracket on, plus oil sump, and of course all Air Con related items, on to a NON Air con car! Surprisingly easy... but Im going off subject now..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Good luck Richard, whichever way you go - at least it's not winter (yet)

Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )