Leaking Power Steering Pump - Citroen Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cox377

Post by cox377 »

After all that my mate managed to source on just down the road from where I live.

I think you guys are right Re why did the pump crack, I can only assume it's because the pump is running 20 to the dozen, again I'm assuming because the acculator is faulty and permently ticking?

coXen
cox377

Post by cox377 »

right,

well the new pump is fitted, the middle rubber pipe was a nightmare, was brittle and kept splitting, cut it back and added a join using some other pipe. New sphere is on, I undid the 12mm pressure valve screw, no hissss, undid the sphere and no explosion lol.. new sphere is in as per instruction.

Degreased the whole general area and power washed it all down for morning, it was covered in LHM fluid from the leaking pump. The AUX belt from Citroen which was 2 weeks old had started to perish from the LHM, so another new one bought tonight.

Tomorrow morning I shall add the belt back on and fire her up,

WIsh me luck

CoXen
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Fingers crossed.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Fingers crossed.
And a nice, long tick interval from the pressure regulator one hopes :D

What "other pipe" did you use to extend the feed pipe? Be careful as LHM is pretty vicious on the wrong sort of rubber and it will eat it quite quickly. Fuel hose rated to carry unleaded petrol is OK.

If you have any doubt, soak a small sample of pipe in a jar of LHM and see if it reacts with the sample after a few days/weeks.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
cox377

Post by cox377 »

I actually used some coolant hose, I think it will need to be changed over soon. I saw what it did to the aux belt, I hope it hasnt it the cam belt :(

CoXen
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

:shock: Get that coolant hose off yesterday. Seriously, it isn't meant for that application and I'd be worried the rubber will start "dissolving" into your system.
cox377

Post by cox377 »

didn't realise that LHM had quite that effect, I will try and source some alternative hose pronto
cox377

Post by cox377 »

just gone to fit the new belt and it's the wrong bloody size lol

The size I got from GSF = 1725
The size I got from Citroen = 1750

Only sizes from GSF = 1690 & 1725

:(

No way of getting to either before they shut till monday

CoXen
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

:twisted: :twisted:

Ahh, been there before. Best always to get both sizes and return the one not needed.

Any decent factors will have them in stock. Ask for them by size rather than by car quoting the part number: 6PK1690. That means a 6 groove belt 1690mm lomg.

Else that, pick up the nearest size available. Laser quotes 1700mm or 1710mm for your car depending on if it has a Harrison or Sanden A/C compressor fitted.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
cox377

Post by cox377 »

I've got the biggest size they said out of the two belts. Appears they must have the wrong info on their system for my car. mine is a 1750

On another note, I washed down the old belt and have added it on for a quick test. FIred it up, left it for 2 minutes then did up the 12mm screw, she leveled out and that was that. However there was a little leak to the union, nipped it up and it appears to have stopped

CoXen