Quick Question on the "K" Light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Quick Question on the "K" Light

Post by addo »

(As it's known!)

For the first time ever, it came on whilst the car (Xantia) was running yesterday - three times, all at or near idle.

Since then, it hasn't lit mid-run but lingers after startup. Is this to let me know there is a stored fault item?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Adam,

Generally, if there is a stored fault, the K light will take a while to go out after the engine starts. It won't come on again whilst the engine is running, providing the ECU thinks everything is OK.

If it does come on, say at idle occasionally, then it is indicating there is something that it is not happy with, most likely a sensor signal out of tolerance or missing or the ECU has come to a limit of adjusting something.

Try disconnecting the battery for an hour or so and then seeing what happens. This should reset the ECU and clear any stored faults. The ECU will then retrain on the next drive.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

It looks some some kind of intermitant injection fault. What engine was it in your Xantia Adam?
Try checking all the wires to the various sensor and most importatly, the ECU and connector. Do you still have your speedo/rev counter?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Jenny used to have this problem due to her needle lift sensor being faulty.
Replaced it and all was well.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Jim, thanks for clarification. I suspect it's the idle stepper motor - been rough, especially in the "cold" (OK, laugh :lol: ) winter months firstly at cold idle, and more recently whenever idling under slightly loaded conditions (eg aircon running).

Getting very close to needing one of those faux Lexias, I think.

Xac - if it's the needle lift sensor in my 16V petrol engine, we'll all be surprised! :wink:
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

A few minutes with the battery disconnected is all thats needed to clear the codes. At least it is on my S2 Activa.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;