Automatic Clutch Adjuster

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DaveW
My Cars:

Automatic Clutch Adjuster

Post by DaveW »

Hi all,

The clutch on my '95 Xantia TD has finally got to the point where I have to replace it. I have the clutch kit (GSF) and just need to get the nylon bushes before dropping the box. I'm not too worried about the main part of the job but the cable is fitted with an auto-adjuster.
A search on here brings up a couple of posts relating to this with one poster suggesting that the auto adjust re-sets when a new clutch is fitted - seems unlikely to me - whilst others suggest that, although difficult, it is possible to partly dismantle it to re-set it.

Anyone have a definitive answer as to whether it can be re-set or not?
If it can be done, any details as to how would be greatly appreciated.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have not tried it but i have heard they are a bit like the ME** S*T*Y self adjusting cable, and with those you grab the cable each side of the adjuster rubber boot half way along the cable, and just pull both side away from each other (stretch it)

regards malcolm
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Thanks for the reply, Malcolm.

Looks like I will just have to suck it and see !!

Strange thing is that since I have bought the kit the clutch has stopped slipping, at least when I try a simulated overtaking - still got the judder and the pedal is right at the top though.

Dave.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is the clutch pedel very heavy to press, if so your clutch is more than likely at the end of its life

regards malcolm
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

Malcolm,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

The clutch is not particularly heavy (maybe not as light as the new(ish) one in my son's Mk2) but has always suffered from a severe judder since I acquired the car 4 years ago. The take up is smooth to begin with but then as the pedal is released further the judder appears and finally the operation becomes smooth again just before the drive is fully engaged.
I'm pretty sure the clutch does need replacing as the pedal has only a minute amount of free play and just dipping it a fraction of an inch initiates de-clutching.

I had hoped to get some firm information on the auto adjuster before starting dismantling rather than finding a problem half way through the job.

Dave.