Rear end stays down

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paco
My Cars:

Rear end stays down

Post by paco »

I've looked up and down the forum and can't see much about this so I'm posting a new one.

The rear end of my Xantia 1.9TDi doesn't rise, I had this problem before and had to fit a new plastic part, which has something to do with the suspension levelling, and immediately solved it.

I went under it and, like before, the plastic part had popped off and when I put it back it was fine until i drove it a few miles, when I parked it up the rear end was at its lowest again and anyone sitting in the back gets bounced around. Put it at its highest and the plastic part had popped off again.

Its only something like 80p for a new one but will this keep happening, and if so why, and can i do something about it?
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

It’s a problem with your rear height corrector, the plastic part is the linkage between the height corrector and the anti roll bar, as you have discovered without the plastic bit the height corrector cant work.
As you keep having to replace the plastic clip, I would think the height corrector has become very stiff probably with rust and dirt, you may be able to clean it up a bit on the car, enough for it to work, but for a proper job you should really take it off.

There is a guide on how to remove and clean a FRONT height corrector in the ‘handy hints and tips’ section, but I cannot find one for the rear height corrector.

Here is a good picture of the rear height corrector, you may be able to figure out how to clean by looking
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deiz92/429467953/

Always jack or axel stand a Xantia before looking underneath.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You will most likely find the plastic link now has a hairline crack in one of the ball cups. It'll never stay on like that.

Mercifully cheap from a delaer.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Sid_the_Squid wrote: I would think the height corrector has become very stiff probably with rust and dirt,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deiz92/429467953/

Always jack or axel stand a Xantia before looking underneath.
It WILL NOT be the height corrector itself, but the stupid linkage that controls the anti roll bar movemnt to height controller - theres TWO moving levers on the linkage and these are MOST VERY LIKELY to have siezed SOLID, so that when the anti roll bar moves with the back end of the car, the linkage cant, so the clip has to pop off - IN WORSE case with a new clip without freeing them up, in which is BEST done off the car, the next part to break can be the anti roll bar clamp! Ive had a few snap now..

Not sure of your mechanical abilities, but DO get the linake off, remove the height controller, by the two 11mm nuts you can see facing you when looking up, you can either LEAVE the 3 pipes connected or remove them. TAKE note to how the height corrector is linked into the levers!!

The linkage unit is attached by 3 trox head bolts, two facing the rear, and one to the side, look at the structure of the unit and you should find them.. Ive no picture for position reference for you..

The two levers should be nice and free to move..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Apologies for not being specific enough, I was of course referring to the linkage, but thinking of the linkage as part of the whole height corrector assembly, I was unaware you could remove the linkage as a separate entity from the whole corrector module in suite. I stand corrected. I did not intend for my post to be misleading.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Take a look at the this topic in the Handy Hints section. This one is for the front HC but most parts are applicable to the rear HC too.
I'll add some extra info to that topic in a bit regarding the rear HC :wink:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you beet me to it Paul as i was going to say similar, appart from i call the two levers turrets, and i do agree you cant free them up long term whilst in situe,

even with them off the car they take a lot of working lubeing working lubeing working lubeing working lubeing working lubeing,

to free them off properly so the two turrets are very floppy loose,

other that that Martin at Pleiades dose re/con brackets for a reasonable price

regards malcolm
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:Apologies for not being specific enough, I was of course referring to the linkage, but thinking of the linkage as part of the whole height corrector assembly, I was unaware you could remove the linkage as a separate entity from the whole corrector module in suite. I stand corrected. I did not intend for my post to be misleading.
Sid, PLEASE be aware, I was not trying to correct you, but a LOT of height troubles are ALWAYS pointed at the height corrector, were in fact it is not at all, did the BX's ever suffer height problems, if I remember correctly, NO they didn't because they did NOT have this STUPID setup that the Xantia uses, A great shame they tried to refine the controlling of the height via the lever, but made it worse in dooing so.. The XM has the Stupid plastic links, but DO NOT use the lever setup on the height correctors... they never suffer height problems either

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Sorry to hijack, but how do the BX and XM manually set the height then?
I remember the last BX I contemplated buying had a rather vicious height lever (nearly went the same way as Malcom with it!) where the Xantia has a safer one :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Sid, PLEASE be aware, I was not trying to correct you,
No worries Paul, were all here to learn and help each other, I've learned something new about the height corrector and linkages today, thus will be better able to fix issues and help others in the future. :)
As a wise man once said "its all good".
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
paco
My Cars:

Post by paco »

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll let you know how it goes. :D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if it works here is the BX H/C lincage

http://service.citroen.com/docpr/affich ... 3%20435110#

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

nop i still cant get this right

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote:nop i still cant get this right

regards malcolm
It works Mal.
Click on the language and select Henglish the validee and select the vehicle you want details of.

Update, no it doesn't. It is only the handbooks for models from '07 onward :(
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

no Steve it is just bringing up the login page when i post a link from service citroen

regards malcolm