Wheel sizes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Didn't take any piccies!?

This can be useful as well as amusing:

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual ... r=1440x900

Andrew

citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

probably suit a wide body of v6 or activa, i dunno i like 15" fine personally for comfort etc
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

If you want to try and have some parity of gearing and speedo - 225 45 17's
although that's with an original handbook reference tyre of 205 65 15's

I thought the Activa runs on 205 60 15's which would need 215 45 17's for
the bigger rim to closely match = speedo will be 0.3% under reading.

I guess spray on rubber with 210 35 19's could be interesting! :?

Andrew

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I think 17's ruin the ride quality which defeats the object of our lovely suspension. I replaced the alloys on mine but stuck to the standard size 205/15, although the rims are a half inch wider. You could compromise by fitting 16's, but don't forget to tell your insurance company as they will use non standard tyre sizes as an excuse to wriggle out of any claim.

I have to say that all the Xantias I've seen with 17's or above somehow just don't look right. Just my personal opinion though.

As far as diameters go, if you get it within a few mm then you won't have to worry too much as your speedo is 10% out anyway.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you'r going to use low profile tyres you might as well get an Audi or some other modern car with no suspension. :(
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

best way to find out is go to a wheel shop and try a rim on your car, it might need spacers and long bolts. my non standard alloys are 15x7J and standard are 6.5J i think.

they fit ok on the front, not tried them on the back yet since i was thinking about the creaking i am getting there. was a bit worried about the wheel guard on them, xantias being 4 wheel steering and all.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

CitroV6, four wheel steering? Tell us more!

As for the comments on non-standard fitments to any car, it is always wise to ask your insurers for their view. Ignorance of what has been fitted or adapted on the car would not be a defence of non-factory modifications. Do not try and kid yourself about the scale of any modification, remember that you have to state on your insurance proposal if the car has been altered or modified away from the factory specification.

Handyman
George

Post by George »

superloopy1 wrote:
I just wonder, in reality, what effect this would actually have on any claim.
The addition of expensive wheels and/or other modifications would make the car more desirable to the car thief, thus upping the premiums.

The insurance company will then use their get out clause and not pay you.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That is the kind of happening I keep my eyes and ears open for, and I'm yet to hear about a verifiable instance of it. Not third-hand or anecdotal.

(I've a similar challenge out locally, for someone to find a homeowner in Australia who was actually repossessed by their mortgager.)

As to the "Xantias have four wheel steering" idea - doesn't it pertain to the inner wheelbase shortening as the body rolls in a turn?

Cheers, Adam.
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

i don't think so, that is a system used by vw etc using soft suspension mountings.

on xantias the rear wheels actually move slightly with steering input to the same effect.

this is a reason even non-activas go round bends fairly undisturbed for a mid size compact family car.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hullo CitroV6, I am quite intrigued by your explanation.

Are you saying that the rear wheels move to follow the track of the front wheels? How is this effected by the rear end of the car? Having crawled around under quite a few Xantias, I have never seen any link or mechanism that offers this option of the rear wheel steering in unison with the front wheels, but then IKBA.

If they steered away from the front wheels, the car would be crabbing and that would do all sorts of wonderous things to the steering and handling! :shock:

I am assuming you are not confusing this with the passive rear wheel steering on the ZX.

Handyman
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

hi Handyman,

this is active steering, i have never looked closely at the steering mechanism and how it would work at the rear, though i have been intrigued to when it is safely mounted on some ramps.

it is active steering, in my head i thought it would be a hydraulic motor , as you would have in the front steering mechanism, but geared to turn at a lower rate. but like you i haven't seen it in person, though i can see the effects. stand the vehicle stationary and turn it lock to lock looking at the rear wheels.

yes this would make a crabbing motion which is advantageous at high speeds, but not so at low speed. there have been many times when i have had to do 3 point turns to park rather than 1 that i would do with a conventional car.

my friend has a mitsubishi gto , that is another clever car, but with electric motors, which apparently are the future, i prefer the hydraulics myself. anyway that is able to switch the rear wheel steering to the reverse direction at low speeds, then at high speeds into the same direction
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hullo CitroV6, I do not wish to sound dismissive but there is no active steering system on the rear of a Xantia, Activa or otherwise. I have just stripped out all the rear suspension, including sub-frame on an estate, right down to the last nut and bolt and nothing offering that facility exists.

Can I ask you where you sourced this information? I do have a large archive of Citroen related technical data and have no record of this in any factory documents.

You have not got loose mounting bolts in the rear subframe, allowing the backend to move? I have seen quite a few Xantias with loose sub-frames.

As for your explanation that the rear wheels do not follow in the track of the front wheels, especially at high speed I find highly disturbing. No only would the car be highly unstable, tyre wear would be horrific, with some pretty grim wear patterns.

Is it April 1st?

Handyman
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

handyman wrote:Hullo CitroV6, I do not wish to sound dismissive but there is no active steering system on the rear of a Xantia, Activa or otherwise. I have just stripped out all the rear suspension, including sub-frame on an estate, right down to the last nut and bolt and nothing offering that facility exists.

Can I ask you where you sourced this information? I do have a large archive of Citroen related technical data and have no record of this in any factory documents.
fair enough , however it will do it on both my v6's, i do forget where i read it so you may dismiss it since i was just trying to provide information
handyman wrote: You have not got loose mounting bolts in the rear subframe, allowing the backend to move? I have seen quite a few Xantias with loose sub-frames.
possibly.
handyman wrote: As for your explanation that the rear wheels do not follow in the track of the front wheels, especially at high speed I find highly disturbing. No only would the car be highly unstable, tyre wear would be horrific, with some pretty grim wear patterns.

Is it April 1st?

Handyman
hardly. you may dismiss it. i do not wish to get into an internet argument about why suspension is designed the way it is. i am happy with what i know about the basic science of why it is like that. you would be horrified at many things if you knew how they worked. i know i am
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

On the subject of active/passive steering, could it be something to do with the design of the rear sub-frame bushes themselves (the front ones perhaps)?

Handyman: you said you've seen several Xantias with loose rear sub-frames. Are you able to tell me how they were loose (ie. which bolts or whatever)? I've been investigating clunking from rear n/s all summer, and it's not the usual loose exhaust, rear wheel carrier, radius arm bearings. I'm convinced it's the front n/s sub-frame bush - not yet proven

Sorry for the hiijack! - Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )