whats it called please?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

whats it called please?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,

under the front end of my 1998 Mk2 xantia on the near side there is a length of rubber pipe about 18" long which has a smaller metal pipe heading of to the front accumulator at the accumulator end and in the nearside corner it has another metal pipe which seems to disapear up beneath the battery tray.

the rubber pipe is leaking hydraulic fluid at the near side corner where the rubber pipe joins the metal sleeved reducer, and I would like to be able to identify it properly to order a new pipe from Citroen, there is nothing worse than having no idea what the part is before trying to order one.

finally it would be great if anyone could tell me if they have managed to buy one from GSF or another motor factors and saved a few quid on the price of a new one please?

fortunately the hydraflush found the leak before the new LHM goes in.

Bang goes the budget for repairing the rear arm bearing, the hydraulic system is much more important.

many thanks in advance

Nigel. :wink:
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

At the moment I'm reading and learning about Xantia hydraulic components :) and I guess that is the steering rack supply pipe :( Sorry not so good news.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Hi,

if you are correct that would explain the noises I have been getting every time I go into full lock a loud low tone Brrrrrrrrr, sound.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I made a quick search in my "archive". I couldn't find any other plastic and metal combination (number 1) in the front area. So I'm adding this picture which was under section called Steering supply piping - (INJECTION XU10J4R AND BVM)
It would be interesting to hear if the leak can be repaired by DIY methods :-k

That sound might be caused by some other factor, may be not related to this problem.
falling-out-with-my-car

I dont think thats it one end definatley connects to the front accumulator which is miles away from the steering rack against the bulkhead and on the other side of the engine.

that picture shows the lhm pump not the accumulator at the front of the engine.

regards Nigel.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Have a look at this thread, although it's V6 related the pipework may be similar on yours.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Hi it goes around and about to the steering rack.they all seam to leak(citroen thing?) if your stuck for one edwardes&son @billericay essex always has some 2nd hand he takes them off if any good.
I'm thinking of getting a hydraulic place like pirtek to see if can either recrimp or put a piece in between? has mine leaks and it's abit of a pig job to change
xantia 19td estate 96-7
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

I temporarily (few months) cured the torn rubber delivery hose from LHM reservoir to pump by cutting the ends cleanly, then pushing those ends onto a section of copper pipe and putting jubilee clips either end. Cure could have been permanent except it was cracking elsewhere too. Can't recall if it was 15mm or 12mm copper pipe (they use 12mm in Spain for gas appliances), but think it was 12mm. Worked perfectly.

You say it's gone near where it joins to the metal crimp, so may not help though.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Thanks for the tip JamesQB, I have to add some jubilee clips of different sizes to my glove box collection :lol: (My wife is already wondering if it's a spare parts storage #-o).

May be I will come back after some hours with some pictures of those pipes in front, especially rubber hose (~ 18") connected to metal pipes from both ends. falling-out-with-my-car, we both have 98 mk2. mine is non hydractive with 3 spheres only in front.
falling-out-with-my-car

I sure hope Lhm doesnt react with copper tube to form a sludge like many other oily substances.

Actually this mornning in fresh light I clambered under the front end cleaned all of the hydraflush of of the pipes and low and behold its not the large rubber pipe with metal ends leaking.

there is a smaller lhm pipe running from the top of the accumulator along the top of the larger rubber pipe it winds into a coil of lhm pipe at the NSF end and goes up to the front suspension. it is mounted to the back end of the front accumulator.

it is leaking above the NSF end of the larger pipe within its mounting bracket martin @ pleides has informed me after I sent a sketch that it is the supply line to the front suspension height corrector.

apparently this would explain the harder ride I have been experiencing since my new spheres were fitted 2 weeks ago, the front end is much harder to push down with the ride height in normal position and the engine running, the car floated like a boat for 2 weeks and this leak appeared.

apparently to save replacing the whole pipe Martin can stick a new joint in it tommorrow mornning for me.

wouldn't it be great if we could all have a diagram identifiying every pipe by its proper name? how we are supposed to identify something when a leak occurs beats me. not without a good source of light to shine under the car anyway.

thanks to everyone for your advice and help regarding this matter.

best wishes.

Nigel.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Hi, I've also checked pipes in daylight. It's good that you have found the correct pipe with a leak. So I don't add any pictures.

Some days ago while fixing a cable under the car, just by coincidence I've noticed that pipe which comes from regulator and forms a coil. It had a clamp on it and it was not connected to anywhere :evil: I found out that it should be fixed to a screw on the gearbox cover :) Who knows how long it has been like that. During a maintenance it must have been removed and never fixed back.