HDi 90 Xantia - no aircon nor main cooling fans...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Bitron faults are very rare.
The Bitron has a plug with about 10 wires.
Brown temperature sensor faults are usually intermittencies that cause the fans to spin flat-out.
Your faults looks more like loss of supplies.
I’m trying to find a topic from MikeT, where he had corroded wire splices just in that place.
The fault presented itself after the bodybashers had re-welded a defective driver's door hinge (involved removing the OS front wing). Bodybasher claims that he uses a hitech welder that isolates the car from spikes, BUT, the fault never ocurred before this.

Any thoughts?
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

the body bashers … a hi-tech welder
Les brutes … les bricoleurs.

At the rear of the OS wing, a thick wire splits into smaller ones that go to the fuse box; just the place where not to use the flamethrower.
Never been there, but I remember topics that I’ll try to dig up.
Back tomorrow … va faire paillasse. Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

lolingram wrote:
I inadvertantly entered a wrong number, so need to wait 1 hr! I guess that means with the radio on?
Yes, about an hour of it switched on.
With the bold ---- bars showing under the feint ---- bars?
Yes! I thought mine was faulty when I saw two pairs :lol:
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Clogzz wrote: I’m trying to find a topic from MikeT, where he had corroded wire splices just in that place.
Here Cloggzz, if it's any help, halfway down the page. http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... &start=120
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Les brutes … les bricoleurs.

At the rear of the OS wing, a thick wire splits into smaller ones that go to the fuse box; just the place where not to use the flamethrower.
Never been there, but I remember topics that I’ll try to dig up.
Back tomorrow … va faire paillasse.
Just love the Frogspik, Clogzz! Thanks for all your trouble - much appreciated.
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Did you manage to track down the problem with your non-working aircon, cooling & blower fans?

Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

MK2 Hdi 90 Xantia estate

Post by lolingram »

Did you manage to track down the problem with your non-working aircon, cooling & blower fans?

Martin
Thanks for thinking of me which is very much appreciated, Martin.

Recent Chemotherapy sessions has made it necessary to put this on the back boiler. All that doesn't function is:

1) Rad fans
2) Heater ventilator
3) Air con.

When it rains - (demist needed!), we hav e been using the XM..... will have to get back on this, but have no idea where to look!

Thanks again.
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Sorry Lol,

Didn't mean to intrude on your Chemo, and I hope you'll appreciate that.

Just that I was interested to hear how you'd got on with the trouble shooting, especially with Clogzz suggesting that the problem could be in wiring behind the wing. I try to learn from forum posts, in case my car should suffer a similar problem, and your's was an intriguing (perhaps you'd saying "annoying", or something stronger) problem.

I suppose when you decide to have a go at it, a temporary jumper wire (perhaps with an in-line fuse) to take the power feed straight to the ignition switch might be 1 option. If things worked again, you'd know you're on the right track, and where to focus attention. On a slightly pessimistic note, if the welding has caused the problem, then you'd have to decide whether melting of the insulation was a possibility (& attendant short circuit risk) - visual inspection?

You are fortunate to have the XM, and just ignore the problem!

Hope the chemo's coming to an end. All the reports I hear are that the French have a super health service, with no waiting lists.

Cheers - Martin :)
Martin

lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I suppose when you decide to have a go at it, a temporary jumper wire (perhaps with an in-line fuse) to take the power feed straight to the ignition switch might be 1 option. If things worked again, you'd know you're on the right track, and where to focus attention. On a slightly pessimistic note, if the welding has caused the problem, then you'd have to decide whether melting of the insulation was a possibility (& attendant short circuit risk) - visual inspection?

You are fortunate to have the XM, and just ignore the problem!

Hope the chemo's coming to an end. All the reports I hear are that the French have a super health service, with no waiting lists.

Cheers - Martin
Jumper wire from +VE to where though? After the first time of the non-functioning, the AC etc worked again for several days, and then quit again without further ado.

Yeah, the Frog NH is something else... without which I would NOT be around moaning about my Xant. XM is a delight!

Thanks for your help, Martin.
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I realised after last my post that your car's an HDI, whereas mine's an S1 TD. I've been poring over my BoL, but it only covers Series 1 up to 1995, and doesn't even cover the aircon option, so I've little to go on.

On reflection, think I'd first be checking for power at the ignition switch before playing around with a +ve jump lead. Of course, finding a voltage at the ignition switch only proves that 1 strand of a cable has continuity at that moment, not the 28 or 44 strands needed to meet possible high current requirements. As I understand it, the aircon and cooling fan circuits are linked, so it might be easier to try and trace the blower fan's circuits first?

Edit: nothing as simple as a defective relay?

Cheers for now - Martin
Martin