Autobox ECU reboot

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Autobox ECU reboot

Post by Stempy »

Just changed the autobox oil, managed to squeeze 5 litres out. The question is, would it be a good idea to now reboot the ECU into it's pre natal state and make it relearn everything from scratch? I know some of you chaps have done this, so does it make any difference and if so any volunteers with a Lexia and the know how? :D
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well done on 5 litres Stempy :D

Do you have the right oil level checking guide for your car, depending on if it has a dipstick or not?

It's not a bad idea to reinitialise the ECU every now and again as one of the things it does is to re-learn the characteristics of the clutches and brakes by how they slip.

One important thing is as soon as the ECU is done, take the car for an immediate drive of a good distance to cover every possible situation from bbusy town to a blat along a dual carriageway.

My Lexia is here at any time and it (ane I!) will be at Little Horwood attending the the CXM rally this coming weekend.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

One important thing is as soon as the ECU is done, take the car for an immediate drive of a good distance to cover every possible situation from bbusy town to a blat along a dual carriageway.
As in Immediately, don't even turn the ignition off when disconnecting the lexia, in fact after the reinatilaise is done start the car and drive, like Jim says as much verity as possible for as long as possible.
I've had two gearbox ecu re-init the first one I totally screwed up, made the gearbox quite jerky, the second time got it right gearbox became smooth as butter.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Mmm interesting, I wonder how that works when the car is brand spankers, and whether the first owner can affect how the ECU learns its parameters and as such affect the performance of the gearbox for the rest of the cars life, or at least until a reboot.

Thanks for the offer Jim, not sure if I can make the Rally but will try, sounds like a drive home from MK would give the box plenty to think about and be the ideal way to settle it in.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Stempy wrote:Mmm interesting, I wonder how that works when the car is brand spankers, and whether the first owner can affect how the ECU learns its parameters and as such affect the performance of the gearbox for the rest of the cars life, or at least until a reboot.
I don't think the transmission ever stops adapting, but the adaption is quicker for the first few miles. On my mk2, I can tell the transmission behaves differently if it has been driven around town for a few days, or has been on highway duty. This was months after the adaptive reset.