Squeeky Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Squeeky Xantia

Post by Fox »

For the past month, whilst driving around I've noticed an irritating squeek coming from the area of the dashboard where the glovebox, vent, etc are located.
I'm almost certain its an interior squeek, related to a peice of trim or something, but I can't track it down.
Anything to look out for? Common things to squeek etc? :)
Thanks!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Ahh, squeaks & rattles.....you've come to the right place; I own a BX & they invented 'em!![:D]
I've just finished derattling mine and found some weird things; a knock sensor off the alarm which would have been lucky to work if the car was run over by a tank, made a noise like a morse code key. Solution: Toss it.
Alarm/immobilser equipment zip tied together & just sitting on top of the glove box casing. Solution: Fit new foam rubber insulation to the top of the glovebox casing & position alarms away from the area. (Tie to harness.)
Wiring harness was just left lying across hard plastic ventilation ducting, in the BX accessable via glovebox removal and tray in front of the clock. Solution: wrap strips of foam rubber insulation (carpet underlay) around wires & tie up with zip ties.
Drains rattling inside "A" pillar covers. Solution: Insulate with double sided tape to both hold & insulate.
I think if you follow that path you should go close to removing most if not all of the problem areas. I know it's a different model but I've no doubt our French friends would have been so impressed at the nuisance value of these points that I'm sure they would have carried them through to the next model; some are so obviously rattle causes, I find it impossible to believe that they happened by accident.[:p][}:)][:o)]
Alan S
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

I've got some rattling in the 'A' pillars (BX) - sounds as though it could be my drain pipes - which incidentally don't (drain that is). How do you get to them ? I've been considering trying to clean them through but have been unable to find my way to them. I thought I'd found my rattle when I noted the manual crank handle for the sunshine roof (which is stored in the central roof 'box') was loose. Slapped some foam around it and thats when I found out the rattling in the 'A' pillars.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Jack,
Check this link for access to the front drain tubes for the sunroof. It shows it in pictures. The glovebox needs to be removed which isn't a big job to simplify things on the passengers side.
http://www.btinternet.com/~weird_world/IMG_1925.jpg
Now the "A" pillar covers; got me on the right day as I've just finished removing & refitting as I have just had a full mobile phone kit fitted to my BX 16V.
Firstly, pull the top of the A pillar straight outwards; carefully but firmly. A white "Christmas tree clip" will come out & *may* bring an opaque pipe clamp with two holes in it with it.
Then move to the centre of the pillar and with the top held slightly outwards, do another direct pull there also; this should reveal the same thing again. Pull the cover upwards towards the roof as the third one is the same as the other two but whereas the top two were held in place by keyhole slots pointing upwards, the bottom one points downwards so the cover will come off without the clip having to be removed. I used double sided tape to stick the drain & anything else that is floating around to the actual steel of the A pillar.
Now, in the famous words of one Mr Haynes Esq. refitting is the reversal of removal; but with a bit of a difference!
Firstly pull those opaque pipe ties off the christmas tree clips. This is MOST IMPORTANT as you cannot refit them where they are. Fit these firmly in the holes provided (be careful with the top one as there are two holes there so be sure to line the correct one up first) this usually entails using a screwdriver to squeeze them in to ensure they are fitted properly; you'll know when they are in as they should be, as they will actually be hard to remove; if they feel as though they are just sitting there, they aren't in right. Then grab the can of silicone spray and at the bottom of the A pillar cover is a piece of black rubber slid across the botton; give it a spray before you start. Get outside the car & looking through the windscreen, slide the bottom clip into the keyhole slot on the cover. You may have to use a slight bit of pressure on the bottom to get it into its slot between the dash & screen but with the silicone spray, this is quite easy. Spray the tips only of the christmas tree clips before you start.
Then again from outside, line up the centre one and when lined up, push it in repeating the dose with the top one. Just use the ball of the palm of your hand to run down the A pillar cover to be sure the clips are pressed home and it's all done.
Can be a scarey job but done as I say, really quite a simple task.
Hope that is some help,
Alan S