Lack of Heat on Xantia 1.9TD Mk2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The temperature slider is a pot Greg and does nothing more than send an electrical signal to the climate ECU to set the desired temperature.

As there is electronics involved, it will be time well spent to get a Lexia on it to determine exactly where the problem lies.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

my 1.9 td mk1 runs at 60 on a roads at around 55mph, 75/80 degrees ish if i get up to abpout 80-85mph
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Lurchy - perhaps your thermostat's on the way out? I'd expect the temp gauge to rise to 80, or thereabouts, and sit there.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

the only time its kept up near 80 was when i was towing a caravan with it up and down hills, its always ran that cold, the stat is a new one only fitted it about a month ago just after i flushed water system through and replaced antifreeze,

i dont mind it running that cold tbh at least its not going to overheat fair enough the heating could be better but i dont mind, the first stage of the fans kicks in just over 80 on mine,
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
I still have my auto Fiat Punto in the garden- the heater in that would toast dry bread. Pity the selection of gears process is a bit naff, or the Xantia would be in the garden instead, as it was for nearly 11 months. MOT blew the Punto off the road, butl little to do-, two corroded rear brake flexible hoses and a wiper.
I used to work in a garage--served an apprenticeship in motor vehicle technology, but that was in the 60's. Nothing like it now as it was then. Crypton Tuning was all the rage then, but the machines are ONLY as good as the operatives understanding of them. .?
Can't undersatand why a heater control should be governed by an electronic device . Too much trickery, not enough reliability.
To me, simple is best, it works.
Perhaps it is time to get rid of the car and buy an old A40 Austin, lol. Probably cost me more than 3 Xantias now.
Greg
:shock: :D

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
Sorry about the earlier whinging about crazy design faults.
Thermostat is to be picked up today. Pollen filter quite clean. A good blow of air through vents.
What I need to know about is the way that cold air is stopped to be replaced by hot air. The slider seems to do nothing at all temperature wise--it has some resistance which tells me cable is connected. There is no bleed screw anywhere near the matrix- only one bleed screw on the car, which is on top of the engine mounting.
Car is colder than a witches tit, and need heat for demisting urgently. Aircon needs regassing- never bothered to do it..
If there is a motor behind the facia, can it be heard when using sliders?
I should get the thermostat in tomorrow, but can't see that lack of heat is all down to the stat.
Thanks for putting up with this old codger,
Greg

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi Greg,

The air-conditioned car has a motor to operate the heater flap.
The motor can be seen at the very bottom front of the centre console, on the passenger’s side.
Normally, the motor operates totally silently.

The temperature slider has no cable; only a potentiometer.
There are three cables only, unlike the non-aircon car, which has four.
The airflow slider operates two flaps with cables.
The recirculate slider moves one flap.

With the temperature slider set to maximum, the heater flap must be fully open, and the fan goes slowly to keep the air hot.
If the fan goes slowly at maximum temperature, the climate ECU works normally, but the heater flap may still be closed because of a faulty motor or gearbox.

The matrix has a vent on the outlet pipe.
Enjoy the contortions under the dash. :mrgreen:

Image Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
I changed thermostat today- made a bit of difference, but not as much as I had hoped, but better than it was, so I will live with it. At least it won't take as long to demist windows. There is a new radiator in car, so that will be more efficient at cooling the water than an older one. Can't see the bleeder on matrix pipes-I will need to find a mirror to see it. I don't want to start putting system cleaners through the matrix just in case it starts leaking. I have flushed and reversed flushed the system as best as I can through the top and bottom rad hoses-whether the water was pushed through matrix is anyones guess.
Thanks for advice,
Greg