C5 Gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

minibusman
My Cars:

C5 Gearbox

Post by minibusman »

Having just repaired a high pressure pipe with thanks to Pleiades excellent repair kit, I took my C5 for a test drive, when the gearbox threw a wobbler and decided not to change gear (manual box). Everything went stiff. It won't go into neutral or reverse and seems to be in 2 gears at once. Having thrown fortunes at the car during my short ownership, I am not impressed with the thought of buying a gearbox. Soooooooo.........Just wondered if anyone has had a similar problem which turned out to be a 90p sprogget pin repairable from the driving seat!
All the cables seem to be doing the job.

Thanks in anticipation
Minibusman

2002 C5 2.2HDi SX Estate

Used to own 1986 BX 19D, 1990 BX TZD T, 1997 Xantia 19D, 1979 CX, 2CV (briefly)
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I recently had a gear selection problem on my Xantia Activa which uses almost the same ML5T manual gearbox.

I could not get 5th or reverse on the way to work. Had to push it backwards out of the car park space at home time which was slightly embarrassing.

The problem was with one of the two cables from the selector to the gear box.

One cable moves one of the gear box selectors backwards and forwards as you go from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th.

The other cable (gear stick left to right cable) moves another selector on the gearbox backwards and forwards. There is a cam under the gear lever for this cable and it works so that when you push the gear stick left this cable is pushed. When you push the gear stick right the cable is pulled.

On your box you have a third cable which is pulled when you lift the collar to select reverse.

Basically, the end had dropped off my left to right cable. There is a straight bit of shaft at each end with a stranded cable in the middle which runs in a flexible sleeve, like a push bike brake cable. The straight shafts at each end are crimped onto the stranded part of the cable. The crimp had come loose at the gear box end.

If you have the same problem you will be able to get the individual cables as new items. My Xantia unit was only available as a complete assembly with gear stick and cables which was quite a price. I drilled and tapped to fit a screw and used metal putty to re make the crimp.

With your box you should get to neutral via one cable and reverse will be via the second cable and the additional cable linked to the collar on the gear stick. It's unlikely for all 3 cables to be faulty at the same time unless something common is affected (like the gearbox ofcourse).

Try removing the air filter housing and reaching in to move the selectors back and forwards.

Was your pipe repair any where near to the gearbox selectors because it's too much of a coincidence.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
minibusman
My Cars:

Post by minibusman »

Hi Kev,
Thanks for the response. We disconnected the cables at the gearbox end and the cables moved with the gearlever, but if there are more than 2 cables this still sounds like a possibility. I had heard that Citroens are prone to selector breakage, which also seemed a likely answer.
The pipe repair was near the fuel tank, so nowhere near the gears. I, too, looked for a possible connection.
Thinking about it, the gear changes were sounding a bit 'cably' so I am hoping for a good result.
Thanks again. I will investigate further.

Trevor
Minibusman

2002 C5 2.2HDi SX Estate

Used to own 1986 BX 19D, 1990 BX TZD T, 1997 Xantia 19D, 1979 CX, 2CV (briefly)