Xantia front caliper

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Another place for binding can be the shaft that the caliper (the half that contains the piston) moves along/swivels around when changing pads.
This went on Cassy and I managed to find one on ebay from an estate being broken for parts.
Unfortunately they didn't unbolt the caliper, but just ripped that part off the shaft.
It's been fine so far, but I'll be swapping it with the comeplete one off my LX if its in good condition.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hi Xac:

I'll inspect the threaded shaft more closely/best as can, as still in caliper, & I've no intention of removing it. Wonder why the shaft on Cassy should have broken. At least you found the cause of the binding.

I'm beginning to suspect that maybe the caliper's handbrake cable is not adjusted quite right on my car. Why this should be, after 14 years, & why start playing up a couple of years ago, I can't think

Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Xantidote wrote:Hi Xac:

I'll inspect the threaded shaft more closely/best as can, as still in caliper, & I've no intention of removing it. Wonder why the shaft on Cassy should have broken. At least you found the cause of the binding.

I'm beginning to suspect that maybe the caliper's handbrake cable is not adjusted quite right on my car. Why this should be, after 14 years, & why start playing up a couple of years ago, I can't think

Martin
It's not the threaded shaft that was the problem on Cassy, it's the smooth shaft the caliper swivels on.
There's a similar rubber sock seal on that which if it perrishes can let moisture in.

Actually, you've just reminded me of what the problem was with her caliper, the rubber cap on the back was filling with LHM suggesting a seal had gone inside. There wasn't binding as I thought there was, sorry about that.

The handbrake cables can rust causing them to not release fully, perhaps that's the issue?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Sorry Xac, didn't read your last post properly - with you now. The allen bolt on the sliding mechanism is too tight for me to undo until I refix the caliper on vehicle, but the gaitors themselves are OK.

Good news is that piston now back in caliper - didn't need any fancy sleeve/tool. Problem was that I didn't know for sure that I should be carefully pressing the piston in past the dust seal, which evidently is the way, aided by LHM, and I also used some red Lockheed Rubberlube grease (rightly or wrongly - it's OK on normal brake hydraulics). Basically it was nothing fancy, just care, lubrication, and a lot of PERCY WOTSIT.

Waiting for rain squalls to pass before refitting caliper, along with new rubber hose.

Regarding your caliper filling with LHM, I've seen a posting somewhere on the forum about this seal, and the fact that it rarely gives trouble. You were unlucky.

The handbrake itself is OK, the inner sliding easily in the outer, but I'm going to play around with the outer length adjustment. Just possible there's not enough slack, but why that should be aproblem after all these years is beyond me.

Martin :D
Martin

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the other thing can cause bindding is the arm the cable attaches to can become parshaly seized, which will hold the calliper on a bit and stop the cable comming right off

refgards malcolm
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Thanks Malcolm, will check that out when I first refit caliper tomorrow - seems free enough off the car

Cheers - Martin
Martin