95 xantia 1.9sx fueling problem...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sub_zero

95 xantia 1.9sx fueling problem...

Post by sub_zero »

hey guys newbie here, i think my xantia has a drinking problem, ive filled her up with £30 of diesel and i seem to barely get around 200ish miles out of it, is this normal ??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the forum sub_zero :D

Roughly, that works out at about 33 to the gallon. Yes, that is high.

Check for fuel leaks firstly, especially on the fuel return back from the pump to the tank. It has a sharp bend in it just before the bulkhead union and often perishes here.

Driving makes a difference but circa 45mpg is more reasonable.

Is it noticably smoking and if so, what colour?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
sub_zero

Post by sub_zero »

just on start up its smokey, just sorta blue smoke, other than that nothin else, its a nice lil comfy runaround.
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hi sub_zero,
You talking about a TD or a straight D?

As the D should give you about 50mpg even when driven with 'spirit'.
Theres lots of gubbins in the TD which could be suspect, sadly I would not know where to start, but there are plenty of guys here who know about the TD. Theres really not much to go wrong on the D, clogged filters, or blocked injectors.

I assume that you have kept up with the regular services, as bad oil or clogged filters will certainly lower your mpg. if you've done all the servicing, I'd try getting some diesel injector cleaner, then doing some 'Italian' tuning.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup You would be surprised how much this can help in a diesel, I certainly was.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P