Xantia Rear Load Valve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dean1966

Xantia Rear Load Valve

Post by Dean1966 »

Hi Guys
can anyone help me please? i need some info about the rear load sensor valve on a 1.8 16v Xantia 2000 (W reg). This is the valve (as you will probably know) that is mounted forward of the spare wheel and connected to the anti-roll bar by a plastic link rod on two ball joints.
What i need to know is how easy should this valve be to opperate by hand ? ie by pushing either the front or back.
Mine in really difficult to push either way in order to raise or lower the rear suspension whilst the engine is running and the car is on ramps.
Does this mean the valve is seized and needs replacing or is there another reason for an eractic rear end ?

Many thanks

Dean
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Dean and welcome to the forum :D

The height corrector should be reasonably free. With the plastic "dog bone" (link) disconnected, you should be able to quite freely move the linkage with moderate finger pressure. Note that a very small movement here results in a big height change. Replace it (pennies from a dealer) if you have any suspicion over its condition.

Have a good look at the dog bone and ensure there are no small cracks in the cups. These will cause the clip to be a loose fit and this will lead to unstable height correction.

The height corrector mechanism is prone to corrosion. I find the best way is to douse it in WD40, leave for a bit and then, with the dog bone off, vigourously work it until it is free. Then spary it with abgood thin spray grease.

If the height corrector mechanism is really bad, it'll have to come off and be given closer attention to unseize it and get it working freely again.

Note that whenever working under the car and playing with the height correctors (or anything else for that matter) it is ABSOLUTELY VITAL the car is very well supported, either on a ramp or axle stands. The car can suddenly collapse on the ssuspension and at worst KILL you.
Last edited by CitroJim on 28 Aug 2009, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

this is the hight corector, and yes it will be hard to move by hand whilst under system presure,

usualy it is the linkage turrets that seize up and verey very seldom do the H/C's give any trouble,

regards malcolm
Dean1966

Post by Dean1966 »

Hi Malcom/Jim
thanks for the information, the linkage was seized and last weekend i had a go at freeing it up which i did to a certain degree but i din't think its quite there so left is coated in WD40. I will get the car back on the ramps again this weekend and give it another go.
I wanted to make sure i wasn't wasting my time working on the linkage when it was the valve that was at fault.

best regards

Dean

:D
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

As its the rear HC, you can take off just the linkage without disturbing the hydraulic part and soak it in diesel overnight/clean using a diesel soaked rag and brush.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i belive you cant free the HC linkage/s off long term in situe, you need to remove the HC mountting bracket completely from the car and hold it in avice whilst you lube and work it till the turrets swivle very freely to the extent they flop both ways with ease

regards malcolm