waste veggie /bio-diesel etc.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

waste veggie /bio-diesel etc.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

can someone please point to boi-diesel and waste vegie oil outlets in the uk?

any near or around Northamptonshire would be a great start.

cheers in advance.

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Nigel, it would be worth talking to anywhere you can think of that cooks using oil, maybe a restaurant, chinese, gastropub, colleges, schools etc :D
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Kev,

with respect ive been there before and yes the waste oil is free, but much of it contains fire retardants which means it doesn't burn properly in your engine. it needs putting through a processor.

kentucky fried chicken outlets have to pay for oil disposal at £10 a barrel so they will let you take it away for free, but I just dont have the money to buy a processing unit to clean the oil/make bio-diesel.

it would be brilliant if we could get together some of us with a small investment each say a hundred quid each and buy one machine between us apparently it takes 6 hours to produce 50 litres of Bio-diesel from waste veg oil we could run the electric emersion hearting element on econmy 7 tarrif over night cutting the cost of producing the fuel.

we would have to to it for ourselves without profiting from it except to say for much cheaper fuel.

we would also need a water bowser for collecting the waste veggie oil.

and at 16pence a litre we'd all be laughing even if we had to declare some some use and pay the added tax, currently 33 pence per litre. 49 pence a litre not bad eh?

Apparently this includes the chemical addatives to make the fuel. I would be happy to arange and collect the waste oil as I have ntime on my hands.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

You're not refering to E900 are you?
Most people mistake that for a fireretardant when it's actually an anti-foaming agent.
All vegetable oil that I know of contains it.

Personally, I'm happy with KTC's SVO, it's 64ppl up here and needs no treatment, unlike WVO.

Others on here use WVO and processing ranges from just filtering, to distilling.
From what I've read looking into it when I first started on SVO, biodiesel is nasty stuff so I certainly wouldn't go anywhere near it.

For WVO, I'd suggest an inline heater too. Change your fuel filter every month whether you drive or not, and keep a spare in the car at all times.
With regards to fuel filters, only use the ones with a metal top and bottom, like what Halfraud's provide. Don't ever use the open bottom ones.
It's way too much hassle for me, so I stick with SVO, I only have to change my fuel filter at normal intervals, and only specifically add diesel to thin it out when there's ice on the roads or snow.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

Xac,

I'm on SVO at the mo, mixed 50/50 with dino, although its a lot more expensive than that down here.

if I could source SVO at those prices I wouldn't bother thinking about making boi-diesel. any chance of a hint via PM of the brand and source please i might be able to get wholesale through a friend down here.

I have fitted a renault inline stanadyne fuel heater close to the fuel filter to give primary heat to 50 degrees C before start up in colder weather.

this can be switched on via remote control so you dont have to go out in the cold to switch it on. it cuts out at 55 degrees C automatically.

it draws a lot of current so i have to make sure my Battery is in very good condition, so i charge it with a Graupner ultramat 16 charger which holds down the current but raises the amps to the max.

regards Nigel
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 28 Aug 2009, 12:20, edited 2 times in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote: but much of it contains fire retardants which means it doesn't burn properly in your engine.
News to me :? Couild be as you say Xac, an anti-foaming agent.

SVO and filtered/cleaned WVO I can run with but why on earth anyone with an ounce of sanity would willingly think of producing biodiesel at home is totally beyond me. You're dealing with two chemicals, sodium hydroxide (caustic Soda) which is so corrosive it's not true and methanol which is really seriously deadly toxic as well as highly flammable

Basically, in my opionion, a home bio processing plant is a bomb that if it does not first kill you by poisoning you, it will by blowing you to smitereens.

Secondly, you have to get it dead right or the resulting brew will wreck your injection system. Even then I'd never let it near an EPIC or HDi so that only really leaves it useful in a 1.9TD which will happily run WVO or SVO so what's the point?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

jim,

I didn't mention making bio-diesel at home did I?

now you raise the issue of blowing yourself to bit's i did read something about a fella who did something similar in his shed with burns to his face somehere.

the point is 19p a litre, SVO is 99p a litre here at the mo the price is going up again like diesel already 107 a litre.

regards Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 28 Aug 2009, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

A quick web search shows Bookers are doing 20l KTC for £14.19 i.e 71ppl.

Not too bad if WVO is not your thing.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:I didn't mention making bio-diesel at home did I?
No, I must admit that was an assumptiopn I made Nigel :wink: Sorry.

As you can perhaps detect, I have some very strong views about the infernal stuff :twisted: :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car

thanks Penguin,

sounds like youv'e tried it and failed then Jim???

that sounds better 75 p a litre, still I have to say despite all the risks making your own bio-diesel still sounds attractive.
if you can get it right.

as for not being able to use it in an Hdi, citroen now say you can, I put up a link in a previous thread about this. it is titled

"Veggie oil or similar in a C5".

regards Nigel.
xantom
My Cars: Renault 16 - my first car bought secondhand in 1980. Lasted a couple of months before dreadful rust brought it to an end.
Renault 18 estate petrol. Bought in 1981. only new car I've ever owned and only because it was tax free to Forces in Germany. Lasted 18 months before accident write off.
Renault 18 saloon petrol. bought in 1988. lasted 3 years before accident and repair cost ended it.
Xantia Esate TD. Bought in 2006. First Citroen and bought because of the suspension and potential to run on veg oil. Apart from a stint owning a doomed C5 estate I've owned nothing but Xantia TD saloons and estates since. All have Bosch pumps so veg oil since 2006 for me.

Waste veggie oil in 1.9TD

Post by xantom »

Guys, I've been running my 1.9TD on WVO, filtered, not processed to make soap as just another waste product to get rid of, and I agree wholeheartedly with Jim that the ethanol process is inherently very dangerous. It was a guy here in Fife got hurt when his home brew plant ignited earlier this year. My old Xantia runs very sweetly on my heavily filtered and diesel diluted WVO. I have to incresase the dilution in cold weather of course and the stuttery starting is my measure of how right or wrong I get it. The fuel filter gets a higher than usual change too. All in all, with scrounging free WVO and my dilution bits it costs me about 22p per litre at the moment. HDI fuel systems won't accept SVO or WVO and as I understand it nor Biodiesel. These are all too viscous, at around any temperature, for the high pressure HDI rail and injectors. Couple of management sensors get confused by it too, I'm told. All in all the old TD with Bosch pump just loves it and it's a little less poison into the air.
falling-out-with-my-car

Xantom,

sounds interesting, so you dont need to remove contamination like animal fats and food deposits then?

what kind of filtration do you put the waste oil through?

why is it such a big secret? please share the info?

regards Nigel.
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Its no big secret!
Look on ebay for a 5 micron filter sock or just use pillow cases!, Thats all the filtration you need! Ive just been all the way to france and back on 100% wvo!

I also think the ethanol/methanol biofuel is very risky!

I have never had a problem with this anti foaming agent, and this is my second xantia on wvo, you will probably need to replace the filter every month ish (if i leave it too late the car lets me know as the engine diagnostic light comes on about a mile before i judder to a stop), when running on wvo, and i chuck redex in for good measure.

I use an inline 80 degrees c glow plug heater, which i keep on all the time when using 100% i have never had any problems with the battery.

I settle water out using a 205L home made steel drum with 2 valves (incidently i made 2 and have a spare one which is for sale, 25 quid to anyone here! or just the steel drum itself without valves for £10. SWMBO says they must go!)
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
falling-out-with-my-car

dave,

so I need to filter down to 5 microns then, how long do you setle the filtered oil for to get the water out/quantity etc?

regards Nigel
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Yep 5 microns is good, when i got really badly water contaminated oil i would leave it a between 48hrs and a week, however nowdays i rarely put any in the tank to settle as i know that the stuff i get has zero water contamination.
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s