Lock----Fixed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Guru Meditation

Lock----Fixed

Post by Guru Meditation »

Hi all,
Came out of work one day couldn't get the key into drivers side lock fecking thing. After shoving something metal and thin into it a lot I managed to get it working, then the other night I went to put the key in and bang it wouldn't go in more than about 4mm. No amount of force would make the key go in (I was deforming the panel pressing hard on the key). I stripped the door down as it was seriously p@ssing me off and got the cylinder out. I removed the plastic clip and promptly lost 5 springs on the pavement......Managed to find 'em all and carefully gathered them plus the ten pieces that fit the key in the cylinder and make every lock unique. After playing around I identified the first (nearest to where the key enters) pin as sticking in its hole (this is a part that is 1mm or so across and 3mm in length). I reassembled the lock with only four pins it now works a treat (so now anyone with a key profile identical to mine but with the last part of the key different will fit the lock, if you see what I mean...).
So now I'm a lock smith I love my ZX.
Guru Meditation.
PS Is the central locking supposed to work from the passenger side as well? It doesn't on mine so if so what could be wrong to stop it from working on the passenger side?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The plip system!
I have a BX TD with no plip and key operated locks on both front doors. When we purchased our ZX I assumed the reason the NS door wouldn't operate the system was due to manufacturing meanness but from a thread on here a few weeks ago I learnt that the reason is due to the control unit and it seems that the plip is connected where the NS door switch would otherwise be or something like that.
I dont know if the switch and wiring is present - I suspect not but have never looked. I don't understand it myself as I would have thought that all switches could have sat on one set of connections but there it is. If you are interested - search for the thread and have it all explained rather better than I have just done.
jeremy