Xantia Front Brakes Overhaul

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hi Colin,

Seems you and I are both trying to resolve binding front brakes on our Xantias, though from previous thread, your problem of frying eggs's is a lot more serious than mine.

You asked in earlier post about removal of caliper from main arm. I assume you are referring to what the BoL calls "caliper guide pin". On my caliper, it's secured by an allen bolt, which was very rusty internally, but cleaned up to reveal itself as 8mm allen key. Haven't undone it, as can't get the leverage until caliper bolted back into car. BoL gives torque wrench setting of 37 lbs ft for the bolt.

Good luck with the job. Interested to hear how you get on

Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Why do the simple things go mega wrong :( :(

Have attempted to remove the n/s/f caliper to give it a bit of an overhaul but i cant get the caliper to swivel up to remove the sodden pads :twisted: :twisted:
The caliper piston is catching on the pad lug and is refusing all attempts to manouvere it clear :evil: :evil:
Have now refitted caliper etc but on swivelling caliper down it squashed the pads so tight i cant move the disk at all :cry: :cry:

Any tips/hints would be most useful as i cant believe ive managed to get nowhere with an afternoons work :oops: :oops:

Colin
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

During some of those previous overhauls I had same case, caliper piston catching :?

Try hitting piston (flat head screw driver + hammer) to make it turn clockwise. After a couple of hits try lifting caliper. If not then couple of more hits... It is just a matter of some millimeters then it is free. (This is how I solve the problem.)

You can try either from gap below available by lifting caliper or from front face of caliper by removing the guard sheet metal.
Remember to assemble it back. Keep screw driver (or chisel) in a small angle, almost tangent to piston and try not to disturb any seals.

Don't hit piston too hard (not like a blacksmith but rather like a goldsmith :lol: ).
Last edited by VertVega on 06 Sep 2009, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Colin, I had the same problem on both sides of Cassy when I replaced her front pads on Saturday.
First time I think I've been unlucky!
As Vert says, just move the piston round little and often, I know space is tight :(
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks for the tips gents very much appreciated :) :)

Have now managed to get the caliper to swivel free from the disk and now have access to the pads etc :D :D
Next problem is i tried to screw the piston back in and managed to get the caliper right off the slide guide and split the rubber gaiter :oops: :oops: .It would appear to have split at the engine end of the slide pin so i guess thats another expensive replacemant looming :lol: :lol:
On the good side i have a complete set of pads that im going to fit but time and light have conspired against me tonight so its all been put back together as SWIMBO needs it for work tomorrow but on a quick test drive no judder and its not even warm as apposed to fry an egg :D :D

Any tips on the rewinding of the piston as the tool i got from gsf doesnt appear to be the correct one is it best to remove the caliper and do it on a bench and should i crack the bleed nipple off or will that not gain me anything :? :?

Thanks again would be lost without the input

Colin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it is ABS then I'd crack the bleed nipple as forcing mucky old LHM back into the system seems to make a mess of the ABS.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Use the remains of the old pad to wind back the piston.
Lots of percy wotsit too!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi Colin. I'm somewhat perturbed by the catalogue of challenges the VSX has
beset you with but believe you'll probably have an absolute stormer of a car
when the growing pains are finished - I really genuinely hope so!

The proper wind back tool makes life so much easier and will cost around
15-20 from the the well known high street "Trevor up my car" emporium.
I'd recommend loosening the bleed screw as myglaren suggests too. Really,
the job is so much easier than fannying about with screwdrivers etc! The
whole job should be over in 20 minutes with the pukka wind back tool.

The bellows gaiter on the caliper should be available from ECP or GSF
although I haven't looked recently.

Nice work with that back door too! =D> =D>

All the best,
Andrew

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

New nearside caliper on buy it now:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brake-caliper-Cit ... 0394042078

Andrew

admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Andrew

I know ive got a stormer of a car and that is down to you :D :D

The problems themselves are not anything major they just need time and a relatively low outlay on them.My problem is getting the 2 conditions to marry up.I seem to have no free time at present and as for the other...... :twisted: :twisted: :oops: :oops:

The plus points are the fact that ive identified the problems and a way to solve them....................

Keep posting questions on here and wait for the answers :lol: :lol: :D :D

Colin