Fast Regulator Tick in Soft Mode (Now Solved!)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

impressively deduced. can someone post a link to the diode mod, just did a quick search with a few things about the ecu coming up. 3rd time i've heard this mentioned now which is sparking my curiosity
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citrov6 wrote:can someone post a link to the diode mod
Here you are sir, written by the suspension god himself :D

Hydractive Diode Mod
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

thanks Jim , your a gent
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

It will indeed be interesting to see what the problem is traced to as mine shares the same problem for now.

I do also have a spare ECU as discovered at the DSM rally so will keep that incase its needed :wink:

Jim, does the back of yours drop shortly after starting then rise again and then behave normally? ...thats the main effect of my problem :?
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

vince wrote:It will indeed be interesting to see what the problem is traced to as mine shares the same problem for now.

I do also have a spare ECU as discovered at the DSM rally so will keep that incase its needed :wink:

Jim, does the back of yours drop shortly after starting then rise again and then behave normally? ...thats the main effect of my problem :?
Mine did that and all was well after replacing the rear accumulator, im guessing the problem was something to do with a lack of pressure after the antisink valve opened on startup....I may be barking up the wrong tree though and it was coincidence :lol:

EDIT: Wasn't that extra ECU you found from an XM?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Jim, IIRC isn't there waveform shown in the Xantia suspension manual?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

red_dwarfers wrote:
vince wrote:It will indeed be interesting to see what the problem is traced to as mine shares the same problem for now.

Mine did that and all was well after replacing the rear accumulator, im guessing the problem was something to do with a lack of pressure after the antisink valve opened on startup....I may be barking up the wrong tree though and it was coincidence :lol:

EDIT: Wasn't that extra ECU you found from an XM?
Yes it was but the car ran fine on it for almost 2 years until it was discovered :lol:

The rear accumulator you say......might be worth changing it anyway as my rear spheres all need doing i reckon......Hmmmm

Isnt that the rear centre sphere and the one thats harder to change?
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Jim

I have a copy of the VN05N data sheet.
There is one very interesting feature which is the device is self protecting and shuts down on junction thermal overload (140degC and restarts as soon a it cools to 125degC). Thermal sensor is on board the junction and claimed to be virtually instantaneous. So all those suspension circuit boards with burn marks around the VN05N's are not reaL. Seriously though device auto shut down/restart could make fault finding a real sod.
Repeated triangular waves from the output instead of a good square wave are indicative of the thermal shutdown cutting in. The data sheet example shows this happening 3 times within the length of a single square wave element so the cut-in/cut-out heating cooling cycle must be very fast indeed.
The other little gem is that pin 4 of the device is a status line to tell you in combination with the input/output what the device is doing or failing to do. Pin 4 should be high in normal operation. Pin 4 low indicates a fault state so if you monitor pin 4 on the scope as well as pin 5 the output you should see pin 4 go low with each thermal cut out. I wonder what the electrovalve does during shut down?
The spec seems to indicate that the device can drive a resistive load without the need for protective diodes.
Description is:
The VN05N is a monolithic device made using STMicroelectronics VIPower technology, intended for driving resistive or inductive loads with one side grounded. Built-in thermal shutdown protects the chip from over temperature and short circuit. The input control is 5V logic level compatible. The open drain diagnostic output indicates open circuit (no load) and over temperature status.

John
Last edited by xmexclusive on 22 Aug 2009, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Xmexclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

John, thanks, that's incredibly useful information :D

Vince, the rear centre sphere is the one and is not harder to change, just different. It's the sphere right in the centre, facing forwards, just in front of the antisink valve. Don't confuse it with the hydractive centre sphere which is toward the offside and dangles down at a 45 degree angle.

The technique for changing it is this: Undo the pipe union a few turns with a 9mm spanner uniil the union is a bit loose. Hold the 9mm spanner on the union nut whilst using a Pleiades tool or similar to staart to undo the sphere from its mounting bracket. It's important to loosen the union nut and hold it to avoid damage to the hydraulic pipe.

Whilst holding the 9mm spanner on the union nut, undo the sphere. When it is nearly all undone, use your finger to pull the pipe out of the end of it.

Replacement is a reversal but do use a new seal on the hydraulic pipe.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

CitroJim wrote: Replacement is a reversal but do use a new seal on the hydraulic pipe.
And make sure its a 4.5mm replacement seal rather than the more common 3.5mm one :D
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Jim

Cannot remember where the VN05N spec sheet came from and cannot scan it in so if you PM me with your address I will pop a photocopy of the spec in the post.

John
Xmexclusive
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Thanks guys,

All i need to get hold of is a sphere tool. I know ebay do them, Might see if i can source one through work perhaps or through Pleides.

I take it the 4.5mm seal is measured through the internal diameter of the hole. Is it the small tube shaped one or an O ring design?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Vince,

Get a Pleiades one. If you're in the Xantia game long-term, especially with a VSX, it'll pay for itself over and over again, especially when attacking hydractive centres!

Yes, the seal is the tubular one. You'll see the old one will be stuck inside the old AS sphere when you remove it. Dig it out with tweezers. Your SWMBO will appreciate you using her tweezers for this as the residual LHM on them will condition her eyebrows next time she plucks them....
Last edited by CitroJim on 23 Aug 2009, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

xmexclusive wrote:Jim

Cannot remember where the VN05N spec sheet came from and cannot scan it in so if you PM me with your address I will pop a photocopy of the spec in the post.

John
John, you're a star :D If I cannot download one, I'll be in touch. Many thanks :D
Jim

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Try this

BTW, I just have a feeling that there is a big red herring in the information we have so far... but I can't put my finger on it. I think it would be good to find a way to confirm that the HA valve leak rate is actually caused by the shorter waveform.

Ah... Jim, you have all the gear you need... Connect the activa ECU to the V6 electorvalves, (leaving the ECU in the activa, check the waveform and the tick rate.
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 23 Aug 2009, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.