xantia rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BrianR

xantia rear suspension

Post by BrianR »

Xantia 1.9td 1993.Today I went over a very high speed bump very slowly but stil seemed to touch the underside of the car.I had to go over the bump again but this time I raised the suspension up one notch from normal and cleared the bump.I then returned the suspension to normal and drove off but had a very bumppy ride.On inspection Ifound the rear suspension was completely down and would not rise.I raised it to the next notch and to full height ok but on returning to normal the back dropped right down again.[V]can anyone out there shed any light on this problem.sorry I gone on a bit but I wanted to give as much info as possible.Thanks in anticipation.
Brian
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Brian -
Last words first :
The more descriptive - the better we can help, that's what this Forum is for. Remember : faulttracing a car over Cyberspace needs words & words description of the symptoms [:D][:D] - since you can not get your hands on the car [:p]
Since your Xantia is a '93, it's got the basic suspension system - resembling the wellknown systems on CX & BX. Given your Xantia is 10 y's old on the roads, all kinds of wear, rust & dirt problems should be suspected.
The first to look for, is your rear trailing arms pivot bearings. VERY common problem for BX, CX, Xantia & XM. So common indeed, that special repair sets are available for this problem.
BX & Xantia share the same rear arm repair set part #, since the basic construction, and therefore bearings & bits, are the same. You need a set pr side.
Have the car in max height. From at least 20 ft. distance, look at the rear of your car. If the rear wheels leans in at top - then you have found your problem. They MUST be 100% perfectly parallel to each other, no grey zones that are "acceptable".
These bearings (when worn) tends to more or less seize the rear arms, which give the indications you describe.
Also several kinds of crunching/clonking sounds may follow this problem during drive or height changing....
This repair work is considered one the most common BX/Xantia DIY works, next to the BX front struts DIY overhaul work.
It's a 1 day job for the experienced, 1 week-end job, for the less experinced DIY'er, doing both sides.
TIP : if you know that general service is due on the rear brakes, it's VERY advantageous to do this at the same time. All brake parts will have to be dismantled anyway.
Do'nt despair on total cost for spares, just remember the huge garage bill, which will result on this work.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Well, even with rear arm bearings in perfect condition, the wheels are not 100% parallel. Each wheel is slanted about 1 degree to improve roadholding. This angle is called camber.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Check that the plastic linkage to the rear height corrector has not fallen off. Also check that the linkage is neither seized or loose. Rear height corrector is the first place T'd look, from what you are saying either the speedbump hit the underside of your car, or maybe putting the car in a higher position then back down caused the problem, especially if the linkage is seized or damaged.