Rear suspension is squeaky

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Rear suspension is squeaky

Post by Martin Beevers »

Hi again,

My rear suspension squeaks when driving and more noticeably when I get out after parking up. I can make it squeak by pushing down on the rear wing to force settlement of the suspension.

I have been told by a mechanic that there are sealed bushes in the rear suspension components that just cannot be greased because Citroen in their wisdom, never thought of fitting said bushes with nipples.

I am guessing the bushes in the trailing arm are causing the noises.

Has anyone had this problem before? And is there a trick to lubricating these bushes.

95 Xantia 1.9 TD SX

Thanks Martin
95 Xantia 1.9TD SX - Now sold
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi martin,

I very much expect this to indicate the early stages of the trailing arm bearings failing. If you catch it quickly there'll unlikely be any damage to the arms themselves.

You may see the back wheels have developed some negative (/ \) camber if you sight them from a distance.

The bearings are rather puny-looking for what they do and not being able to grease them does not help :twisted:

GSF do the bearing kits for about £70 'ish. I've not done them (yet) although I'm told it's not too much of a job. There are plenty of posts on here to describe the job. It's the same job as on the BX and C5.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Hi,
Is the Xantia rear axel the same sort of set up that would be on the ZX?

I ask as I fitted grease nipples to the axel tube on my ZX & on a 309 I had.
I drilled into the axel tube between the outer & inner bearing, then fitted a screw in grease nipple. I could then pump in a load of grease, as the trailing arm shaft is inside the tube the grease will spread out along the length of the tube quite quickly...I put approx 1 tube of grease in per side before I could feel the resistance on the grease gun so I sort of knew the tube was then full, a couple more pumps & that was the job done.
I'm sure the grease helped the trailing arm bearings as the ZX did have a bit of negative camber but I never had any bangs or squeaks.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, the Xantia rear arms are fundamentally the same as a ZX in principle but there is no tube. The ends of the arms are attached to "U" channels on the rear subframe with big bolts going through the bearing centres and holding the whole lot together.

The bearings are taper rollers rather than the needle rollers in the ZX and part of the replacement task is to ensure the bearings are correctly preloaded. There are shims and a spacer to achieve this.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Sounds a better set up than the ZX, shame there is no grease nipples though.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Pleides have a procedure to make replacement bearings last longer.

It involves packing with grease and heavy oil and was posted here recently. I've had a search but can't find it unfortunately.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

if you jack up the offending corner at the rear and push the wheel in and out from the back of the wheel you can usually feel if the radius arm bearings have any wear/slack in them, they may not have and could go on for a very long time even if the wheels have negative camber.

I have one in negative camber at the moment but there is no play in the bearings at all yet. I wasnt aware that damage to the arms could occur as a result of negative camber, I shall be fitting a recon arm anyway apparently they last longer than replacing just the bearings according to pleidaies.

once the play occurs it will fail an MOT.

regards nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Unless you disconnect the anti-roll bar I'd have thought it would be quite difficult to detect wear in the bearings unless the wear was very excessive to the point of damaging the arm. Replacing the bearings isn't that bad a job TBH.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Thanks for your thoughts fella's,

The car has only just passed an MOT by the way, so was thinking that the bearings can't be that badly worn.

I will have a go at replacing the bearings soon. And maybe look into filling the trailing arm with oil via a tapped hole. Will have a proper investigation when I get the old girl apart.

I will be checking for negative camber in the morning.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If there is negative camber, it's unwise to leave things as they are, even if there's no detectable play. Apart from potentially affecting handling, alarming tyre wear can occur. A former BX of mine wore both rear tyres through to the wire on one side within 1000 miles (they had almost new tread on the other side); attempting to shake the wheels revealed no movement, but the bearings were absolutely shot when I came to replace them.
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

The full kit seems to be getting expensive these days.
You should be able to get away with replacing just the bearings and seals.

Prices Feb09: GSF Car parts.
N42350 REAR ARM BEARING................7.25
N42362 REAR ARM BEARING SEAL.......1.25

I replaced the rear arm bearings on both sides of my BX and found that two of the old bearings had disintegrated and one of the outer shells had split. According to reports the rear arm bearing housing can be damaged if you leave replacement too long.

Here is a link to the procedure for the BX some of which may translate to the Xantia
http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_a ... /m07e.html
David

BX19TRS 120K E Reg 1992-2013
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Thanks for that info David. Quality link...

I also read on here that I may have to shim the bearings in place. Is this right? And if so can someone post a link to the thread on how this is done?

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, normally things aren't too bad once I get into the bones of a job. Just a bit concerned.

I was quoted today £38 +Vat, each side by GSF for the kit. I like the idea of just buying the bearings and seals. What is in the kit that I won't need then? The mind boggles...

Martin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

This is the contents of the kit Martin..

Bearings, seals, spacers, ground axle, through bolt and nut. In short, everything you could possibly need bar the arm itself!

David is quite right, providing yours has not gone too far, the bearings and seals should be all you will need.
Jim

ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

Don't worry about the shims --- simply reuse the old one if indeed there is one fitted. The shims are simply used to compensate for manufacturing tolerances. The kit does not include shims.

If you study the Citroen service documentation you will see that there is a special Citroen tool which is supposed to be used to determine the correct size of shim to be fitted. The aim of the procedure is to ensure that the spacer or axle, on which the bearings and thrust bushes are mounted, does not protrude beyond the thrust bushes as indicated on the diagram below.
David

BX19TRS 120K E Reg 1992-2013
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Personally I'd buy the kit unless you've found a better way than I have of removing the first bearing from the arm as on every occaision I've changed the bearings the plastic sleeve gets mashed up as it obstructs access to the lip of the bearing making it all but impossible to apply the force necessary to push the bearing out.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH