Any thoughts in here??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Any thoughts in here??

Post by np »

No luck in Peugeot,so will try here.Must be the same for Xantia`s/C5`s?

Just had the ABS code read on my 406.I need a new l/h drive shaft.The Peugeot main dealer has quoted £252 all in to replace,inc d/shaft,gaiters & g/box oil.After costing it my self,it comes to £130 ish.
My question is,if i do it myself,will the ABS light have to be reset,or will the ecu detect no fault & clear itself??
The dealer charged £40 for the fault code,around £10-£25 cheaper than the 4 French indies in Bristol!
Also,seem to have a slight diesel leak around the fuel injector on the l/h side,nearest the camshaft.Looks like the sealing ring/fire ring???
Is that a fairy easy fix?Looks like a few pipes to remove,but access is great.
Cheers,Neil.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hi Neil.

You can try disconnecting your battery for a while then reconnecting it to try to reset the light, but if not then unfortunately it does cost around £40 for a plug in nowadays.

Ridiculous really as its so easy to turn a light off....I used to do them for free on customer's VW's back in the day :P

Can i just ask, why do you need a complete shaft if your ABS light is on? has the ring disintegrated? If so then surely a second hand unit would be better value?
Last edited by vince on 19 Aug 2009, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The early Xantia ABS resets itself every time you switch the ignition on while the later ones reset once you hit about 20mph. I imagine one of those options will apply to the 406.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as Vince says why do you need a drive shaft, i had a car in a while back were the ABS ring had just become un/welded from the CV joint, i just welded it back on,

even if the ABS ring is beyond fixing/weldding you might just get away with replaceing just the CV joint,

i cant remember what car it was but the light did not go out after turnning the ingnition on,

so i called my freind (local auto electrics guy) to ask if that make of car needed to have the ABS ECU reset he said he was not sure but i could drop by and he would plug it in, i drove the car along my yard to head off to get it pluged in and bongo the light went out,

regards malcolm
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Thanks all.
Fault code showed driveshaft gear.Going to have a look sat to see if the gear has come off etc.Will see if its a diy job.Dont mind doing driveshafts etc,so should`nt have too many probs.Will let you know my findings.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Done a bit more searching,abs light will re-set its self once fault has been fixed.Going to have a look tomorrow.May well fit 2nd had shaft or new cv end if i find broken or missing absteeth.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The ring gear on the d/shaft is loose/come unstuck.Theres a split in it too,but not sure if its a join,or the ring rear has split.
Can i just weld/tack it back onto the d/shaft,so it cant move & so that the joint is tight together?? :)
Would chemical metal do the trick?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes you can as long as you clean the body of the CV joint and the ring, so when you clamp it (Jed) it the spaceing between the teeth at the plit is as it the others are,

i did this on a customers car and it was fine

regards malcolm
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Well i clamped the abs ring in place,cleaned up abs sensor,but still the light wont go out.Gave up,thinking i`ll have to replace the cv joint,as i also striped 1 tooth off the abs ring.
Had to also sort out my handbrake as its a bit poor.Noticed i had a funny noise from inside the rear disk(handbrake shoes inside rear disk)removed it all to find the handbrake shoe retaining pin & spring had come out.While it had been rattling around inside,its striped 2 teeth off the abs sensor ring :(
Now looks like i need 1 front cv joint,1 rear wheel hub & 2 lts of g/box oil.£91 from ECP`s. :(
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have replied to your sisster post in the pug section kp

regards malcolm
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

All fixed.Replaced front cv joint but light was still on.Replaced rear hub assy,new rear abs sensor as the tip was broken from the screw rattling around.Drove off & within 100 yrds the abs light went off & all is well.
Just the over jobs tomorrow now.Peugeot forum updated. :D