Xantia Clutch problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fridgedoc
My Cars:

Xantia Clutch problems

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi All

Clutch had played up a little, crunching reverse, so adjusted cable, all was ok for about 6 months then it started crunching again so tried adjusting cable and although it seemed to "feel" ok still crunched when trying reverse and only just made 1st with a clip, so al always tried a search which reveled lots of interesting reading one in particular by CitroJim where he mentioned "release shaft bushes" that could be sorted without removing gearbox.....well this sounds wonderful as I am having an operation on one of my eyes on 25th August and I need the car to get me to the hospital (a 4 hour round trip) and picked up a few days later I do understand it will only be a short term repair, once I am sorted I can then change the clutch.

Many thanks
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1994 (deceased)
LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Stephen,

Yes, the clutch release shaft runs in two nylon bushes in the bellhousing. The topmost one on my old 1.9TD broke and fell down into the bellhousing meaning that the shaft effectively lost it's top bearing and thus would not allow the clutch to release fully.

Only one of the bushes can be changed without removing the gearbox and this is the top-most one. It can be accessed by disconnecting the clutch cable, removing the pin that holds the clutch operating lever onto the shaft and lifting the lever off. The bush will then be visible.

The bottom bush can be seen as a white circle if you look under the bellhousing but it cannot be replaced without removing the gearbox.

The bushes are very cheap as they're used on all BE3 equipped cars and should be replaced at every clutch change as they can be responsible for judder when taking up drive.

EDIT: if yours has totally failed, it will only be a temporary job as the failure of the bush causes the release bearing to push on the diaphragm at an angle and ends up distorting it slightly. My old clutch plate had worn slightly wedge-shaped as a result :o
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi Jim

thanks for the quick reply, if it solves my problem although only short term I might want to kiss you but lucky for you I'm over the water and miles (or should I say Kilometers) away.

Will have a look see tomorrow as its too nice and sunny and my apperitif is calling me

All the best

Stephen
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi Jim

have got plastic cover off so can see top where bush is but cannot figure out how to remove pin? or spring? without busting it, I can see the bush is broken so fingers crossed replacing it will give me a couple of weeks grace

thanks

Edit: have just read through your blow by blow again and I see it needs a bit of plus gas then a bit of persuading but it has a spring on it how do you remove the spring?
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Stephen,

Excellent!

The spring will just clip off if you get a screwdriver underneath it and prise it.

The pin is best extracted by putting a piar of mole grips onto the end of the pin and using a small hammer on the jaws to drive the pin out. It does not drive right through and out the other side but out backwards the same way it went in if you see what I mean.

The bush is just a push in fit and is retained by a "dovetail" lug. This is the bit that usually breaks and causes it to loose its location.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hmmmm the Pin is MUCH easyer said then done! Can be VERY VERY Tight in place!!!!

Ive tried neumerious ways, grind a flat on the pin firstly!! This WILL give you more grip... when that fails, my last resort was the excellent HEAT!!

If your replacing the top bush then it sdoesn't matter anyway, but I found twice now, with a bit of head from a blow torch, then with mole grips, wiggle the pin side to side, and the movment and heat will then free the pin off quite easyilly...

What a blydi stupid idea.. Why not have it screwed or something like that..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:What a blydi stupid idea..
Agreed :twisted: Citroens are full of them Paul :lol: Again, it's all to aid production. They might be a right pain to get out but they are so easy to replace; push, tap and job's a good 'un! Same with radiator bayonets, a right faff to get apart but a doddle to put together...
Jim

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Ahhh yes the famous STUPID radiator "experiment"

Soo sucessfull that Citroen abandond the idea with the HDi and went back to Pipe's Cliped ON - that is, the 2.o HDi 8v, however, a 03 C5 2.2 uses this stupid bayonets connection however, sensibly the bottom hose is in the CENTRE of the bottom Rad section making it EASY EASY to undo and do up!!

Prehaps they decided it was stupid to have the Bayonets right in the corner with no access because of the Air Con Compressor!

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
fridgedoc
My Cars:

success ........well sort of

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi all

Jim the spring came off just as you said it would, the pin was a different matter, located long nose mole grips on end of pin and gave a wiggle as you do and the pin came out.........easy peasy.......great ..............but on inspection the bush seems ok'ish does not look damaged but pin moves sideways in it, getting new bushes tomorrow ordered at dealers today, but I have a feeling that the clutch its self is the problem....merde!!!!! as they say here..............................
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Paul wrote
"Soo sucessfull that Citroen abandond the idea with the HDi and went back to Pipe's Cliped ON - that is, the 2.o HDi 8v, however, a 03 C5 2.2 uses this stupid bayonets connection however, sensibly the bottom hose is in the CENTRE of the bottom Rad section making it EASY EASY to undo and do up!! "

what about that silly afaire on the bottom ZX hose then,
rotating locking brittle plastic device,

as soon as you try to undo it the blinking lugs snap off, then you have to buy a new hose

regards malcolm
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Ohhhh damm Yes Malc,

I forgot about that STUPID affair, Ive got one of those hoses in my shed, from a 306! mum had one on a 1995 M reg 306 td... sooo easy to break!

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto