Hydraulic Fliud level

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Hydraulic Fliud level

Post by Fox »

Hi there.
Stuck my finger in the hydraulic fluid reservoir today and couldnt feel the fluid, although looking in does show it as being present.
Should I top it up a bit? I've been informed that the best test for the level is to make sure it just touches your index finger if you place it in the reservoir. The actual level indicator doesnt seem to work..
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

I've just popped out to check it and it seems the indicator is working. I raised the car up to max height, and it settled on the 'max' level. I still can't touch the fluid with my finger. Am I to assume whoever told me this was wrong?
Also, before today when I used to start my car after a few hours, the back would sink right down and slowly raise again. Today I had my anti-sink and accumulator sphere changed. When I went to start the car a moment ago, when the engine started the STOP (!) lights illuminated, and went out after perhaps 2 seconds and didn't show again. Is this normal? It's never happened before, but then, my Anti-Sink sphere has always been duff before, whereas it isnt now.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Has the a/s sphere stopped the rear sinking at start up.
It is normal for the stop light to illuminate until hydraulic pressure is up, with a knackered accumulator sphere there is no gas to compress so the light will go out almost instantly as the engine is started.
The light can also glow as valves begin to open and oil flow ito other compressable elements of the system.
Providing the level indicator is not stuck and is between or even above the lines on the sight glass you have no need to add more fluid.
Dave
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

Yes, the sphere has stopped the rear sinking at start up :)
The indicator isnt stuck - it starts off way above the lines, and then I raise the car up and it settles to exactly level with the max line.
Cheers for your reassurances :)
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

It is the yellow disk that is level with the max, and not the orange one i trust.
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

I think it was the Orange one?
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Haynes seems to think it is the orange one, but my cit manual (bx admittedly) said it is the yellow one. A cit trained mechanic friend also tells me it is the yellow one. My previous BX would bring the lights on if I filled it to the orange.