Citroen 1.9TD, roughly how long to fit a water pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davidp456

Citroen 1.9TD, roughly how long to fit a water pump

Post by davidp456 »

I got water dripping out from bottom of the car, just wanted to know does anyone have a rough idea as to how long it should take to complete the job?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi David,

I've done one in an evening before now. Basically it depends upon how much of a fight the crank pulley bolt puts up. Providing that one comes off with relative ease and you don't struggle too much with the cam covers, it's all pretty plain sailing.

One tip, as you'll be changing the coolant anyway, drain it by unbolting the waterpump to save disturbing hoses!

On a 1.9TD, three housrs should see the whole job done easily...

It'll be well worth slipping a new cambelt on at the same time and check the health of the auxillary belt tensioner.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davidp456

Post by davidp456 »

CitroJim wrote:Hi David,

I've done one in an evening before now. Basically it depends upon how much of a fight the crank pulley bolt puts up. Providing that one comes off with relative ease and you don't struggle too much with the cam covers, it's all pretty plain sailing.

One tip, as you'll be changing the coolant anyway, drain it by unbolting the waterpump to save disturbing hoses!

On a 1.9TD, three housrs should see the whole job done easily...

It'll be well worth slipping a new cambelt on at the same time and check the health of the auxillary belt tensioner.
thanks for the tip, but really just want to get it out, fix it and probably sell the car, quite surprised its a 3 hour job, was hoping for 30 minutes !!! :)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

cambelt driven Dave..

which means

crank pully off, which means

aux belt and timing belt covers off :(

which may mean a wheel off and inner wheel arch out of way.. etc

then all back together, check belt, fill and bleed cooling system..

think of it as a cambelt change really..
I would say 2 hours at a guess, if you've done it all before...
just a guess mind :)

John
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

they usualy give 2.5 hours to do a cam belt, then you have to drop the pump out and once all back together fill and bleed the cooling system

regards malcolm