will xantia engine fit in berlingo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

danwitcombe
My Cars:

will xantia engine fit in berlingo

Post by danwitcombe »

hi,,can any one tell me if a 1.9d xantia engine from a 95 car fit in my r reg berlingo,,the cc is slightly different but the main block looks the same,,
any help would be much appreciated dan :oops:
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

GO FOR IT!!

Of course it will!! Early Berlingos (I THINK) did have XUD's, use the mounts from the Berlingo engine and put them on to the XUD!!

It will go!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
danwitcombe
My Cars:

Post by danwitcombe »

thanks for that..will have a go monday or tuesday,,do i have to un bolt clutch plate before engine and box will release??
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Yes, the plate is over the flywheel but bolted to the gearbox...

P

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

sorry to wee on your bonfire But,

I'd be sure you can register the vechicle first esspecially if you are raising the engine capacity.

sometimes DVLA will not accept engine number changes to documentation
if the capacity has been raised.

it could also be very difficult to insure the car as it will be registered already as having a particular sized engine, you could end up paying a heafty insurance premium for just a few extra CC.

if the capacity is anything,other than the specified capacity on your insurance they could refuse to pay out in the event of an accident.

even if you changed from a 1.8 ltr to a 1.9 ltr engine. also changing down to a smaller engine can have similar problems.

gone are the days when you could stick a bigger engine in a smaller car and just register the new engine number without being peanalised.
the insurance company will usually say its unsafe and expect you to cough up more insurance money.

however I have had no issues replacing an engine of the same capacity.
the engine number just needs to be changed on the reg doc's.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Interesting points nigel, but some insurance companys are happy if they are supplied with a registered engineers report for the changes, and as long as the Reg Document is ammended appropriately...

Once those two things are done theres no problem!

Do you REALLY think ALL these Boy Racers with shopping trollys and stupid big engines are driving illegally - with ANPR these days I dont think so..

so its still a very possible thing to do.

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:sometimes DVLA will not accept engine number changes to documentation if the capacity has been raised.
The DVLA couldn't care less about engine changes or cc changes as long as you have some kind of evidence. Why would they put section 7 on the V5C otherwise?? =;

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

* a receipt for the replacement engine
* written evidence from the manufacturer
* an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
* written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle
ImageImage
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

do i have to un bolt clutch plate before engine and box will release??
no :) leave the clutch plate where it is.. you cant really remove it anyway, with the bellhousing over it..

you may have to remove the actuating arm from the release shaft, this will enable the release shaft to be turned enough to allow parting of gearbox and engine. (I think you knock the pin out of the shaft) - this is if the clutch is a 'pull clutch' type..

Paul you meant the half moon cover plate, which does indeed have to come off...

either that or i am being silly :shock:

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote: Do you REALLY think ALL these Boy Racers with shopping trollys and stupid big engines are driving illegally - with ANPR these days I dont think so..
Yes :twisted: I've seen certain cars favoured by the barryboys advertised as having a two litre turbo engine but still registered as a 1.1 or 1.4 "for insurance purposes". That was a few years back now when I took an interest in such things so it may have changed but somehow, I doubt it.

Can an average traffic officer necessarily differentiate between a 1.1 TU and a 2.0 XU? Possibly, but only if they really know the car in question. Are they trained in engine recognition and types?

Of course if the worst happens and the car is involved in an accident, that's it, insurance void and big trouble.

It pays to be honest with the DVLA and insurers. That can be more easily said and done though as when I did a like-for like engine swap on my old 205GTi, it took three goes before the DVLA got the registration document right...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

We had some prat at airsoft saying he'd replaced the engine in his 1.1 clio with a 1.4
The two "barry boys" there who aren't really barry boys but have kitted out their cars properly asked if he had informed his insurance company, to which he replied no, he didn't see the need and because he had a certificate it meant he as insured.
We spent ages pointing out to him that his certificate was null and void, and then pointing out that although the certificate would get him out of any basic spot check problems with the police and wouldn't flag up any problems via ANPR, if he were to hit someone else then he'd be uninsured, and if he injured someone then it would make things even harder for the poor victim.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

so guys there seems to be some conflict of opinions then?

I wanted to fit a 1.9 turbo engine to my 1.8 diesel BX and I came up against so many brick walls it made it virtually impossible for me to do.

first of all The insirance companies said that the 1.8 diesel BX wasn't structurally safe to fit a larger engine. they made all sorts of excuses.

it turned out I would have increased the insurance group to group 12 for a modified vechicle from group five and I would have needed an engineers inspection I would also need to take the car a ministry MOT station for inspection and a new MOT wether or not it had a valid MOT to begin with the cons out weighed the pros and it was far cheaper to scrap the BX and buy an Xantia SX Estate 1.9 turbo diesel.

I recently saw an ad for a VW Beetle which was registered as a 1300 but had a 1600 engine in it, so people do try to screw the system even now.
but come the day they have a ding the insurance wont cover them.
it is far better to make enquireys first before commiting to fit any enine no matter how much bigger to any vechicle.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Nobody said it was easy, just that it could be done (from a red tape point of view)...

Back on topic - V6 Berlingo anybody? :D :D :D

ImageImage
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

If you want to fit a bigger/smaller engine do it.

I have changed my extra van engine from 1.9d to 1.4 petrol turbo with almost triple the power of the original engine.

If its a bolt in job all that is needed is an engineers report on letterheaded paper, easy to get from any garage. Got the logbook/fuel class sorted with the dvla easily, nice cheap tax band now.

My insurance fully comp? A cheap £250 with all mods declared/agreed value. Your local tesco policy wont do this cover you have to look in the right places.
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)
falling-out-with-my-car

brigsygtt,

nice conversion, I note you have gone down from a heavy diesel engine to probably what is a lighter weight petrol engine so structually your berlingo was pretty bullet proof before you started because she housed a diesel engine.

looks very nice though bet it shifts now.

regards nigel.